Desert Ironwood Burl Jr. Retro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from igran7

igran7

Holy smokes, this is the first DIW Burl I've turned. Rodney aka wolfdancer gave me this piece a couple of months ago and I finally got around to turning it. Thanks Rod! CA/BLO finish, comments welcomed thanks for looking.

Attachments

• retro diw burl.jpg
    retro diw burl.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 311
  • retro diw burl III.jpg
    retro diw burl III.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 217
  • retro diw burl II.jpg
    retro diw burl II.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 162
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Sweet pen, I have yet to get a hold of a piece of DIWB to try for myself. It is on my "to do soon" list.

Sfolivier

Fantastic wood, well served by a great execution!

Do you find it necessary to even finish Desert Ironwood? The wood is so dense and seem to absorb so little oil that I don't even bother anymore... Granted, I often work with all hardwood blanks.

igran7

Fantastic wood, well served by a great execution!

Do you find it necessary to even finish Desert Ironwood? The wood is so dense and seem to absorb so little oil that I don't even bother anymore... Granted, I often work with all hardwood blanks.

I contmplated using friction polish on this one, but opted for CA/BLO because I wanted it to be durable. CA/BLO isn't easy on oily pens and this one really frustrated me, but it turned out alright in the end.

rherrell

Great job with hands down my favorite wood!:biggrin:
Try wiping your blanks with CA accelerator the next time you have an oily wood.

Sfolivier

I contmplated using friction polish on this one, but opted for CA/BLO because I wanted it to be durable. CA/BLO isn't easy on oily pens and this one really frustrated me, but it turned out alright in the end.

You may want to try friction polish on ironwood. A friend of mine uses its pen everyday at work and after more than 6 months, I can't see any change in the wood (same luster, same color). I don't know how long it will last for, but I think this one simply isn't changing at all.

Top Bottom