Desert Ironwood Branch Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bree

Bree

I asked a friend from Tucson to send me some Desert Ironwood. He thought I wanted a small branch so he sent me a 2" diameter branch. I took the branch and milled it into 4 oversize blanks... sapwood surrounding about 1/2-3/4" of heartwood and pith. I microwaved the wet wood and let it cook in the oven for a day or two until it was dry (7%). I waxed the ends and let it sit for a few days to get acclimated to its new moisture.

I cut it, drilled out the pith, tubed it up and got it on the lathe. I had no idea what the heck would come out of it. It was just a block of yellowish wood with a dark center. Did my normal thing... gave it a drop of Tung oil MM-12000 with a buff then CA-BLO x 3 followed by another MM-12000 and a double buff with Ren Wax. So here she is with the heartwood peeking through...

sCIMG5104.jpg

sCIMG5106.jpg

sCIMG5107.jpg

I think I will do a slimmie on the next one and display more of the heartwood.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Bree -- Headed to Tucson end of the week for some vacation time. My son and I have gathered some of the small dead branch wood and I find it makes nice turnings, Some has needed a bit of the epoxy fill, but the price is so so attractive with dead and down wood. your most excellent pen will make someone most happy!!!

Check with your friend for Acacia and China Berry - Both are locally grown and have some excellent wood for pens and other small items.

Bree

Bree -- Headed to Tucson end of the week for some vacation time. My son and I have gathered some of the small dead branch wood and I find it makes nice turnings, Some has needed a bit of the epoxy fill, but the price is so so attractive with dead and down wood. your most excellent pen will make someone most happy!!!

Check with your friend for Acacia and China Berry - Both are locally grown and have some excellent wood for pens and other small items.

I am one step ahead of you!! I asked him to get me some other SW woods but bigger pieces. So he is working on it. We'll see how that branch wood pen "seasons" I had to patch a tiny beginning of a crack. I may have dried it too fast. But CA is very good for repairing these errors!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom