Demonstrator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for looking and even more so for commenting.

200641014952_Demonstrator.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Johnathan

It looks very interesting, I'd love to see a real clear picture. I think the idea of seeing the workings of the pen is nice and somewhat similar to high-end European pens. Pretty cool[;)]

sptfr43

well Lou you beat me to it, I have some clear acrylic rod that I have been playing with but to lazy to actually post pics of. Do you think a reamer with some sort of polishing compound would clean up the inside hole and make it more clear? that's where I am at with the idea right now. looks good even if you were spying in my shop[^]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Kinda reminds me of those watches a few years ago that lets you see everything inside. From experience - making things clear is harder than it looks. But I haven't tried it on a pen. Good looking pen!

alamocdc

Lou, I've been studying the photo for about 10 minutes trying to figure out what I do and don't like about it and this is all I can come up with.
Do - tubeless and seeing the works
Don't - bubbles and the frost look isn't the same for both pieces. I know this is due to the different thicknesses and why I think clear would work better.
All in all, nice work and very intriguing.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for the comments. I'll address a few of them as best I can.

Johnathan - I'm no photographer. I had a heck of a time getting a picture of this since parts of it are clear, parts (the fittings) are highly reflective...and so on. I wish I had a clue as to what I'm doing with my camera.

As for the clear/frosted and the bubbles comments, the lower barrel is actually clear, cleaned up with plastic polish applied with a rag on a dowel and chucked in my drill. Worked fairly well. You can even see the ink in the pump. The upper barrel was intentionally left frosted, but polished to give a "looking through crystal" appearance to the nib. The bubbles at the glue joints are problematic. The lucite has to be drill to allow for glueing the components in yet not leave space for air bubbles...maybe on the next one.

Tom and Billy - I appreciate your opinions as much as the next. It's not really a pen "for sale" but more a demonstrator for folks who really don't know what the inside of a fountain pen looks like. I'd say it looks better in person, but don't they all?

Again, thanks for taking the time to comment. [8D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Lou,

Thanks!!! I have been thinking about doing this for 2 years-I believe your execution is about as good as it can get. After seeing it, tho' I don't think it's worth the work.

Please don't take this as criticism!!!

If I thought I could do it better, I would make one-but I believe you have proven, to me, that the pen is not a "keeper" in the market.

BTW, if you find it works to sell other pens, please let me know!! My mindset can always be altered.[:0][:0][:0]

Johnathan

If you are using your own PR, I would recommend using a little of the liquid color drops. This will give a little more depth AND still keep the effect of seeing the workings inside.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Gerry - there are no tubes. Just a different drill bit and a prayer. [8D] Thanks, Ed D. and Jim. I will say that this was as difficult as anything I've tried so far and I'm not totally pleased with the results. Ed B. - the jury's still out on this one. Some folks at work liked seeing the "guts", so maybe it will be a good discussion starter. Johnathan - for better or worse, this was a lucite block and not PR. If, and that's a big <b>IF</b>, I try this again, I could always color the inside of the lucite with dye and a cotton swab, I suppose.

Again, thanks for ALL of the comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom