Definitely not acylic or PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I believe this is Ebonite. It was pretty strange drilling and turning both. When I tried to use the tip of my skew to part off the end and shape it somewhat in the process, it melted! Sanding it wasn't a problem and it polished up very nicely. Not much left of this Baron and I like it that way. The remaining metal is black ti.

2007111443427_BaronClosed.jpg

2007111443454_BaronOpen.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Gerry, just a great looking pen, your closed end pens are always outstanding. I just haven't made but a few and it seems that they just stay in my inventory and don't move. It could be my sales technique but I seem only able to sell posted pens or maybe its that Okies,Texans and Arkansans just can't get the top into their tight jeans[:D].[}:)][;)]

PenWorks

Great looking pen Gerry. I do not think this is ebonite. The material would have a buring rubber smell if it was ebonite. I bet it is some type of Italia resin. Some of the real nice Italia rods, the material would burn and actually melt, while cutting and drilling. Whatever it is, It is a darn nice pen [:)]

OSCAR15

Gerry: Absolutely beautiful pen and workmanship is an understatement! If I made that, I wouldn't want to sell it. As to the material used, there is no certain way of knowing of course, but I agree with Penworks. Looks like it very well could be a high end Italian acrylic. On acrylics like that I have used in the past, the blanks were round and not square. I get mine from PSI and they are marketed under the name "EURORODS". Yours looks to be of yet a superior material. Where did you find it? Oscar

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I am certainly no expert on plastics, but I have recently purchased some of this material from Elliot, and it was called Schaefer rods. I bought some of the "acrylic rods" and this is one of the patterns. I cut a blank of this for a Baron, and I gotta tell you, this stuff melts if you look at it the wrong way. I have done hundreds of plastics, resins, and other materials, and this was the most challenging material I have ever worked with. I was kidding around with my wife as the blank I drilled was hissing and spitting with melted material, that in fact the blank was made out of "low melt hot glue".

Gerry gives me hope that the blanks that I did cut and drill will turn out good, it looks beautiful!

gerryr

Thanks for all the comments. It definitely didn't smell like burning rubber so it probably isn't Ebonite. Since it must be Italian, I guess I better charge extra for it.[:D]

The finial is not technically difficult to do. I just cut a piece about 2" long and chucked it up in my 4-jaw chuck and turned about half of it down to just barely fit in the cap tube. Then I put that in my Beall collet chuck and turned the finial. Sanding and polishing it was sort of a pain since there isn't much material and not a lot of room to work.

armyturner

The pen looks great. I recently purchased some of those blanks as well, posted a pic of a sierra. I was told that they are a true Italian celluloid material, whatever that means. The blue blanks that I purchased were old Sheaffer rod stock, unsure about this one. I had to drill it on the slowest speed on my drill press, about 1/2" then let it cool, then drill some more.

xylostyle

Very nice pen. This material you got from me is acrylic made by Mazzuccelli of Italy, plastic maker for European (and world) eye wear and pen manufacturers. They call the product "Cebloplast". I believe they combine chunks of acrylic with various acrylic resins.

I have worked this material for years by hand and CNC and stand by my claim that it is quite machinable. You need slow rpm, fast feeds and a squirt of water. And never hesitate. Tools need to be modified not to rub.

I have more available.

Elliot

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It is a very nice looking material, Gerry.

Since Elliot has given the answer, no need to repeat.

I found with most of the Italian resins, water is VERY belpful. Oh, and if the pieces of material coming out of your drill flutes burn your hand, may want to stop to let everything cool down for a while. BTDT

GREAT looking pen!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom