Deer Antler - Maple Burl Jr Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jb_pratt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb_pratt

This is the first time I have used antler and probably the last. It was fun to work with but personally I don’t care for the smell at all. There is just something intoxicating about turning wood. This particular pen is for a friend of mine who is a big-time hunter. The top of the pen is burl maple and I used a Craft Supplies Platinum Jr. Statesman kit. I would certainly appreciate any criticism from you experts.

200522520139_antler%20compressed.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

Thanks for the heads up on antler cutting. I think I'll pass on doing it. The pen looks great though. I really like that burl.

Rifleman1776

Criticize? [?] O.K. You didn't make it for me.[:p]
Very special. To avoid the smell you might do what I do. I mounted a small fan on my heastock pointed down on the work area. Originally I put it there to help dry finishes but quickly found that it keeps dust and smells away from my face. I turned some antler today and didn't smell a thing.

Craig B

Antler? Smell? Oh come now!!!!! Yeah, it smells but after 15+ years of using it for some of my knife handles I've kinda grown used to it. The wife can't stand the smell when I've been grinding/sanding antler, but it's better than the skunks my coon dog used to get into!!!!!!!!!!!

You do a great job on the pen and I like to combo of materials. Looks real good with that pen kit!

Gregory Huey

Very nice combo Maple & Antler. Send all that antler you don't want my way. It is my best selling material. I just turn on my dust collector and air filter no problems with odor. Oh yea Great job on the pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom