Deer Antler Majestic & Buckeye Burl Ultra Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from renowb

renowb

A couple I made for customers. The majestic took a big piece of antler! Thanks to Andy (PenMan1) for kindly getting me the Majestic when PSI lost my order! The Buckeye Burl is from Woodturningz.

Attachments

• IMG_7931.JPG
    IMG_7931.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_7935.JPG
    IMG_7935.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_7946.jpg
    IMG_7946.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 389
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Did you finish the antler with CA? I'm wondering how to finish Antler/Horn to secure a long lasting finish. Both pens look awesome by the way!

renowb

Thanks for your kind comments. I did finish with ca. Basically the same as wood. I use a couple of thin ca layers to soak in and then continue with 8-10 medium ca followed by mm to 12000.

jttheclockman

The buckeye is fantastic looking. I wish it were a better photo, it gets lost in the background. Great color variations in there. One of my all time favorite woods. Thanks for showing.

LarryDNJR

Antler anymore I just buff using Barry Gross's Acrylic Buffing mandrel with the blue rouge, cotton and flannel wheels. No CA and gets a really nice shine on it.

renowb

Thanks, yes my wife said the same thing about the background, but stubborn me didn't listen!:beat-up:
Thanks for the comments.

The buckeye is fantastic looking. I wish it were a better photo, it gets lost in the background. Great color variations in there. One of my all time favorite woods. Thanks for showing.

MartinPens

Great pens. My brother is wanting me to make him an antler pen. I will check out your source. Also - wow on the Buckeye colors! What great patterns and colors. It's never too late to take another photo - unless the pen has already met a new owner. Thanks for sharing!
Martin

jskeen

Guys, remember that unsealed antler is absorbent and will tend to pick up oils and dirt from use and being carried over time. It tends to turn a rather unappetizing rancid looking yellow color after several years. I've seen several myself that people sent in to me for repair, and I've had others here tell me that is common to all unsealed antler (unless it's kept outside, in which case it turns chalky white and cracks). A nice soaking in thin CA will greatly slow if not stop this, even if it's mostly sanded down, as long as you don't sand all of the ca saturated material away and back down into the untreated antler. It will buff up to an even better polish too, btw.

68plymouth

Thanks for your kind comments. I did finish with ca. Basically the same as wood. I use a couple of thin ca layers to soak in and then continue with 8-10 medium ca followed by mm to 12000.
Great pens!!! I'm getting ready to turn my first FP with antler. Is that 8-10 coats of medium CA? I trun my wood to 600 with three coats of thin CA sanding between each coat. Will the 8-10 coats give a better finish? And do you just wipe on the CA? I have tried using medium CA and read about using CA in the foum but when I tried medium it left bumps on my blank. I was so discourged that I went back to thin CA. Any info will be help full.

Dave

Top Bottom