Deer Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WoodChucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

Here's a slimline deer antler pen. Do you guys think it's to fat? I wanted it a little bigger on the nib end, but I might have made it to big. Thanks for looking!
SlimlineDeerAnt.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Royce Meritt

Originally posted by WoodChucker
<br />Here's a slimline deer antler pen. Do you guys think it's to fat? I wanted it a little bigger on the nib end, but I might have made it to big. Thanks for looking!
SlimlineDeerAnt.jpg

I like it! As a matter of fact, it looks almost exactly the same as an antler pen I made a couple days ago, right down to the rifle clip. (See attached photo.) I also thought I made it a bit too "fat" at the nib end but now that I see that GREAT MINDS like your's and mine think alike, I think we made them JUST RIGHT!

2005223205932_antler%20pen.jpg
<br />

WoodChucker

Thanks guys, appreciate the input!

Oh, do you guy's put any kind of finish on your antler pens? I never have, but this time I put some Hut plastic polish on it and it turned out pretty good. Not sure if I really needed it or not, deer antler has a nice shine to it anyway. Thanks!

Ligget

I have some fatter slimlines(even fatter than yours), they still look ok apart from my wife saying that they look like they need the toilet!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I think it looks great, R.T.! BTW, you can polish antler and put a finish coat on it. The deer don't seem to mind dirty antlers when they're attached, but customers might object after it's turned into a pen. According to cteaglesc, he uses plastic polish on them (different kind, but the same idea). I think you've hit on something good!

WoodChucker

Thanks Lou! I know I've made a few that didn't feel right without a finish on them, but this one felt really good without it. Thought I'd give it a try and see how it felt. It did make a difference. Almost feels like a marble now.

PenWorks

Rt, very nice, not fat at all. I put all sorts of finish on them. MM to 1200, or Mylands friction or buff them, seems whatever you do, they come out nice.

Just curious, why would you put that white pen on a white background ? Are you messin with me again [:D]

WoodChucker

Thanks Brian!

Anthony, now would I do that to you? [:D]

Actually it's not white, it's Grey. Does look a little white in the photo. I'm playing around with different back grounds for page two on my web page. I used the green (your favorite) for the big pens,but thought I'd use another color for the small ones. So far I still like the green for my web site, it just looks better with the other colors, to me. A white pen probably wasn't a good choice to try for my first shot. [:)]

Rifleman1776

As usual, it's different strokes for diff'rnt folks. As an historical reenactor who makes things from natural materials and hangs around with others of the same persuasion, many people prefer the more natural 'feel' of unfinished things like antler and horn. The antler will acquire a patina with use and handling that some might find appealing. In fact, with some things, like knife handles, I will rub with neatsfoot oil to enhance that patina. Personally, I have to wonder why use a natural material then coat it with plastic-like stuff to make it feel and look unnatural. Now, I'll put on the raincoat for the coming attacks saying "you finish wood, don't you, and that's natural?" [:p][:)] Oh, well.

Originally posted by WoodChucker
<br />Thanks Lou! I know I've made a few that didn't feel right without a finish on them, but this one felt really good without it. Thought I'd give it a try and see how it felt. It did make a difference. Almost feels like a marble now.

Rifleman1776

"Do you guys think it's to fat?"
A p.s., my taste is to the appearance you put on that pen. I like the looks. But, I have found that some people do not find it comfortable to hold or write with. I have tapered down my ends and am still trying to find a style that is functional yet 'mine'.

WoodChucker

Thanks Frank! Yeah I'm finding that people always pick the fat ones up to see how it feels, but they don't seem to sell that good for me either. I've only sold one of these so far. Thanks for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom