Deep Ocean Blue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it yesterday A.M. It's from Exotics, one of Dawn's magical creations, called Deep Ocean Blue.
I had a heck of a time photographing the pen. A white or beige background resulted in a pen that was solid blue. To bring out the depth and iridescence of the blank, I finally settled on my usual black background with side lighting as well as macro ring flash on the lowest setting. It allowed some of the beautiful iridescent swirls to be reflected and seen. I know the photos look dark. The blank truly resembles something from the depths of the ocean with wisps of light peeking through from the deep.
Then I had an interesting time keeping the dust off of it. I was about to spray Static Guard on the pen:rolleyes:. Comments welcome and thank so very much for looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Deep Ocean Blue_1.jpg
    Deep Ocean Blue_1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 229
  • Deep Ocean Blue_2.jpg
    Deep Ocean Blue_2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 204
  • Deep Ocean Blue.jpg
    Deep Ocean Blue.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 151
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

I love that blank. Dawn sent me one as a freebie a while back, and I ordered another later to make a set of black TI emperors I liked it so much.

I love the blue and swirls against the black ti and platinum on this one too. Nice work, and nice pics. A matching finial/centerband would really push it over the top, IMHO. We need to get together and do a few of those.

Last edited:

Gary Beasley

Another nice one! Makes me at least a little interested in owning a fountain pen!

Have you ever used a real fountain pen, much less handled one? It's a very different experience than a ballpoint or a felt tip. I used to play with cheap ones when younger, even made my own inks for them. Quite fun and inspires interest in the calligraphy aspects of writing as well as more of an awareness of the structure of hand written fonts. It would be a good project for us to explore, I'd bet!

Rick_G

A great looking pen. I can totally understand the problem getting a decent photo. Photos turned out ok considering what you are dealing with. Much better than I would have got.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Made it yesterday A.M. It's from Exotics, one of Dawn's magical creations, called Deep Ocean Blue.
I had a heck of a time photographing the pen. A white or beige background resulted in a pen that was solid blue. To bring out the depth and iridescence of the blank, I finally settled on my usual black background with side lighting as well as macro ring flash on the lowest setting. It allowed some of the beautiful iridescent swirls to be reflected and seen. I know the photos look dark. The blank truly resembles something from the depths of the ocean with wisps of light peeking through from the deep.
Then I had an interesting time keeping the dust off of it. I was about to spray Static Guard on the pen:rolleyes:. Comments welcome and thank so very much for looking. Doc:)

Well, Doc!
You have proven yourself to be a masterful pen maker and a gifted photographer. But now, you are adding "poet" to your resume'.

Even without the pictures I saw the pen through your description. Excellent!!

(Of course, it WAS late in the day for you--AFTER EIGHT am!!)

Thank you, as always for your generous praise!!!

Top Bottom