Decorative Banding Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bill Collier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Collier

I don't know if anyone has tried this before (probably) but I thought I would put it out there anyway. This pen is made using thin decorative banding that I glued vertically onto a previously turned blank. It took about eight thin strips to cover the blank. Once the banding was applied I flooded it with thick CA. At this point I proceed to turn the blank as usual. What do you think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bill Collier

How I made the pen:
first I drilled and glued the brass tubes into pieces of scrap wood. Then I turned the blanks down just slightly smaller than the bushings to allow for the thickness of the banding when applied.

Once the scrap was turned I cut pieces of the thin decorative banding (these bands are about 1/16 of an inch thick and less than 1/8 inch wide)and glued rows of them on the blanks vertically (running top to bottom).

Once the glue was dry, I flooded the entire outside of each blank with thick CA to fill in the seams. After that dried, I sanded the blank down on the lathe to match the level of the bushings.

It seems to have come out not too badly. This opens up the potential to do a lot more things with this material as it comes in an almost endless amount of designs and colors.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The "purfling style looks nice" I had seen it in WC but decided I will eventually just make my own
NPGJ
That's thinking outside the box[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom