Deco Pen From NH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikespenturningz

This is the first Deco Pen for me. I think I have the finish under control now. I sand between every coat of CA and sand also with the grain for each coat. Then I used about 10 coats..

il_570xN.317057945.jpg

Let me know what you think...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

That looks great Mike. Not to mess with success, but I think sanding between every coat, and sanding CA with the grain, is overkill and unnecessary. I usually sand every 3 or 4 coats, or when the coat dries a bit less smooth than usual (which is usually the 4th coat or so...) As for sanding with the grain, unless you're still hitting wood, I don't think it should matter. Any scratches you leave in the CA are filled in with the next coat, which will slightly dissolve and mix with the previous coat, so any existing scratches in CA within reason, are taken care of by the next coat. But as many people say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and many of us have CA rituals that others feel are not needed or don't work, so if you don't want to take the chance, and it's working, that's great!!!

I am still learning to get a good finish. They are getting better and better. I only sand to maybe 600grit then put on the first coat of ca then start using the MM. I sand between every coat and I can see the ripples when I sand. They get less and less with each grit. I also CA with the grain several times and that seems to help. I am starting to try to get quality now. I have 100 pens up online in my shop and I have tried to improve constantly. This forum has done so much for me. Before I found it I was just on my own and trying different things. It would have taken months to figure out some of this stuff..

Top Bottom