December pine cones

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Vince_Hoffmann

Hello everyone! I haven't posted on this board for a couple of years, but I thought I'd show what I've been making recently.
Here are 2 pens I finished this past week. They are both pine cones that I prepared and cast. These are both made form single-pieces of wood so that when the cap is put on at the right thread point, the grain will line up.
Both are cast with colored resin, one with blue and the other with bronze.
The top is a Sugar Pine cone which has a darker brown/tan core. The bottom pen is a Knobby Pine cone that has partially decomposed causing the black lines and spots. Knobby Pines generally have a yellow/gold core.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_1491.jpg
    IMG_1491.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thank you for the compliments! The interesting thing about casting cones is that the resin pushes into the core along the petals resulting in fabulous patterns and colored eyes where the petals were.

Jgrden

I like and appreciate what you have done. Mine are made of Sugar Pine and Coulter Pine. I have not cast them yet but just yesterday bought some cutting board stuff to make new molds. Thanks for your input, glad you are back.

John,
Nice website you have! I love the wine cork pens you make.

When you cast the cones, they must be pressure cast or else you will never get the resin to penetrate. Mine are cast at 60psi which does a good job at pushing the resin all the way through.

Jgrden

John,
Nice website you have! I love the wine cork pens you make.

When you cast the cones, they must be pressure cast or else you will never get the resin to penetrate. Mine are cast at 60psi which does a good job at pushing the resin all the way through.

Thank you for reminding me. Just this morning I was thinking about how to get that resin into the leaves and the stem.

Pens - 12-18-12 Christmas Pen MAN Party Cork 1.jpg

Pens - 12-18-12 Christmas Pen MAN Party Cork 2.jpg

Pens -12-14-12 Sugar Pine w gun metal 1.jpg

Top Bottom