Decals - First Two Attempts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stoneman

stoneman

First, thanks a million to jp_white (whose deer decal on antler inspired me to try this) and Grizz (whose tutorial was also a big help).
I decided to try applying decals to a pair of pens I already had made (by popping the hardware off and following Jeff & Jon's processes).
My very first try ended up with the edge of the decal not well adhered. This one I just removed and tried again.
The first pen is an antler/cartridge pen using the same deer image that Jeff used (very nice image). In another try, I would ease off the darkness of the image (more charcoal/less black) as I like the "ghosty" appearance of Jeff's pen better. Still, overall I was not displeased with the result for a first try.
The second pen in a maple cigar that I made about a year ago to test the black chrome plating. My wife adopted it and uses it daily around the house. Since our son and his family recently moved to NC, I decided to try adding a picture of our granddaughter to that pen so it might have more meaning to her. BTW, the black chrome still looks great.
Both decals look pretty nice from a layman's point of view. For someone who is concerned with detail (aka, moi), the edges of the decal are visible in most areas as the pen is turned and examined in the light. I'm hoping to learn/find a way to reduce/eliminate this.

Lastly, do any of you decalers out there have any idea how well the decals adhere over time? They are well sealed under CA and the edges are not detectable by feel, but in the end, the decal itself was applied with water and dried to set. Any data on long term durability out there?

Attachments

• AP00079Lo.jpg
    AP00079Lo.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 208
  • AP00079CULo.jpg
    AP00079CULo.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 423
  • OP00014Lo.jpg
    OP00014Lo.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 178
  • OP00014CULo.jpg
    OP00014CULo.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 422
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Those are great pens. I don't see why the decals won't last as long as the CA does. CA is tough. For an experiment, I made a key ring with one of the kits out of antler with a CA finish. I wanted to see how well it hold up clanging around with a bunch of keys. Been carrying it for about 4 months now and it still looks as good as the day I made it.

PenAffair

Looks great.

Having jjust discovered the CA/BLO finish though, I'm wondering, would this be a no-no for decals? Would the oil have a bad effect on the decal?

Russell.

DurocShark

I haven't done decals on pens yet, but back when I did plastic models I found trimming the decal exactly at the print with a sharp X-Acto knife worked wonders for hiding the edge.

stoneman

Stoneman, where do you get the decals? Thank you for your reply. Carl

Carl,
I got mine at a local hobby shop (Coins & Hobbies). The decal paper is Testors No. 9201 Clear Decal Paper (also available in white). The bonder is Testors No. 9200 Decal Bonder. The paper is about ten bucks for six 5.5" x 8.5" sheets. The bonder is about $3.30 for a 3 oz spray can. There are two or three other recent IAP threads in this forum (look back a few days and you'll see them) which also deal with decals and provide some of the tips I used in trying it.

Archerpens

Man, I've got to try this. I sell my pens on Ebay, and I've noticed many buyers who will just do handsprings over pens with ANY name and country of origin marked with a sharp looking decal. Carefully handcrafting a pen of exotic materials, then trying to make it resemble a mass produced Japanese pen this way is a little like having a gold medal and having it bronzed...still, I'll try different things to appeal to buyers.

great stuff. I just got my testors stuff today and my wife said she wanted pics. of the kids on a pen. wasn't sure but I'm glad to see it can happen.

Top Bottom