Decal Party; various techniques

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

You are cordially invited to a decal party.

Steps, techniques:
Original abstract art created with stock and custom brushes in software (old Photoshop, old Illustrator, etc).
Printed onto inkjet decal paper with an old Canon printer (old is often good).
Ink is dried x 24 hours.
Spray-fixed the decal artwork with a single layer of Krylon clear (single layer because I airbrush Createx clear top gloss coat (diluted 1:1 with Golden airbrush medium) several times throughout various layering sequences).
Brass or white enameled tubes well washed with acetone to improve decal adherence.
I sometimes do an alcohol ink abstract background directly onto the tube before applying the decal, and this shows through nicely, increasing the sense of form and color depth.
Decal cut up into rectangles or applied as a single rectangle after a brief soak in cool water; forceps (tweezers) used for small rectangles, and a slightly moistened cotton terry cloth towel serves as a good working surface.
As noted above, I airbrush Createx clear gloss top coat between each layer of new media.
Sometimes I'll apply a little more alcohol ink to harmonize colors.
I usually brush on a thin layer of Sennelier brand interference acrylics to further bridge the gap between the coolness of computer rendering and the warmth of hand work.
I then airbrush a final coat of Createx clear gloss.
Decorated tubes are dried for 48 hours.
I then cast them tube-in with Douglas and Sturgess Clear Casting (PR) resin at 50psi.
The castings are milled, turned, and finished as usual.
The pens seem to enjoy colorful fruits and veggies at the party.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Happy Sunday to all - Bob

Attachments

• DecalParty,markison,may,2017,800px.jpg
    DecalParty,markison,may,2017,800px.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 429
  • DecalVirages,StylusPens,markison2017,800px.jpg
    DecalVirages,StylusPens,markison2017,800px.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 395
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob in SF

Sincere thanks, Bruce and Brian and others!

Decals can be background, mid-ground, foreground, or layered onto each other - invites further exploration.

The multimedia tubes cast and turn nicely.

I can imagine mini skyscapes, seascapes, landscapes, people, wildlife, and other original figurative or abstract decal content.

More fun ahead.

- Bob

Top Bottom