Dec Pith pen for Jyreene

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from edstreet

edstreet

As promised. :)

Question came up when I found out that Jyreene was being deployed was "what to send with the pen", we signed up on the 'kitless pith' so after several questions the choice was clear what to send.

attachment.php

I do have some cleanup work still to do on the knife before I ship it out.

Attachments

• IMG_8746.jpg
    IMG_8746.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_8659.jpg
    IMG_8659.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 252
  • both-sides.jpg
    both-sides.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 260
  • elk scales.jpg
    elk scales.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 248
  • coin side 1.jpg
    coin side 1.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 212
  • coin side 2.jpg
    coin side 2.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_8753.jpg
    IMG_8753.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,350
  • IMG_8745.jpg
    IMG_8745.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wonderful inspiration and sentiment with the work - it has added meaning now!

Ty - Thanks for your service and be safe.

jyreene

I so wish that were the case! That just means it is now in the APO system overseas. But it should mean it will be here in the next 10 days. Would be sooner if I were at a major base.

jyreene

Looks like it was probably scanned in at the parent command. Now it will all depend on flights and mail delivery space. I can't wait though!

edstreet

That is an awesome knife. And the pen is no slouch either.

:) Yea he came close to not getting it, the more I worked on it the better it looked and I am very envious that he's getting it but it's going to a fantastic home, plus I can make more.

Started off as a larger slab.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lock mechanics, the weakest link in lockback construction.
attachment.php

Oh and it's stabilized and all that jazz. In case anyone was wondering.

Attachments

• IMG_9072.jpg
    IMG_9072.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_9078.jpg
    IMG_9078.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_9130.jpg
    IMG_9130.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_9193.jpg
    IMG_9193.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_9084.jpg
    IMG_9084.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

BSea

Ok, I get it (I think). The elk antler was stabilized with black dye, right? That really sets it off. Kinda looks like fossil ivory.

edstreet

Something like that yes, very very close. I am not 100% certain what the filler material is after it was stabilized.

End grain is always tricky on things like antler, bone, etc. ..
attachment.php

This is another knife that I did and it's not stabilized or filled.

Attachments

• elk-endgrain.jpg
    elk-endgrain.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

BSea

My biggest complaint on elk antler is that it has so much pith. This may be a way to take advantage of it. I might have to get some cactus juice & try this with some elk antler.

Marko50

I love the fact that you did this for one of our beloved warriors fighting for our liberty! May many blessings come your way and may the good Lord protect our fighting men and women.

jyreene

I'm even more amazed seeing these maker photos. Again great looking work Ed. I can't wait to get them in person. I've got more clarification on what "Arrived at the Military Post Office" meant. It means it is at HQ. So like I mentioned now it's a matter of them transporting it to me. That could mean today, or a month from now. But likely means in two or three days I will be able to have these awesome items in hand!

jyreene

Ed, it arrived today. Guess they were letting mail pile up there because we got quite the haul. I do have my iPhone camera so while they won't compare to your pics I will post a few of the absolutely beautiful pen, well balanced, amazingly sharp (thank you! someone that truly knows how to put an edge on something), and stunning knife, and worthy second amendmant coin of me with them and Afghanistan in the background. Well the walls of my room room, in the barracks, on the base, in Afghanistan. Can't thank you enough Ed. Truly works of art and you went above and beyond. I am humbled by your patriotism and support. Semper Fidelis.

edstreet

Ed, it arrived today. Guess they were letting mail pile up there because we got quite the haul. I do have my iPhone camera so while they won't compare to your pics I will post a few of the absolutely beautiful pen, well balanced, amazingly sharp (thank you! someone that truly knows how to put an edge on something), and stunning knife, and worthy second amendmant coin of me with them and Afghanistan in the background. Well the walls of my room room, in the barracks, on the base, in Afghanistan. Can't thank you enough Ed. Truly works of art and you went above and beyond. I am humbled by your patriotism and support. Semper Fidelis.

Glad to hear that it arrived and it's all there. Did they give you any grief about the box? I had to do some customs papers to ship it and that I felt was way wrong to do but that's another topic for another day.

jyreene

Glad to hear that it arrived and it's all there. Did they give you any grief about the box? I had to do some customs papers to ship it and that I felt was way wrong to do but that's another topic for another day.

I did not get any grief about the box. Usually the once it gets in the APO/FPO system there are pretty limited inspections. Yes, it should not have needed customs papers because technically the APO system is in New York.

Top Bottom