Dec. Pen Swap Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from D.Oliver

D.Oliver

Here are the pens I made for the Dec. Pen Swap. The first pen is made from 1/4" plywood and 1/4" hardboard.
Plywood Arrow Pen.jpg

Here is the blank before I turned it.
Ed's Pen Blank 2.jpg

The second pen is made from 3/4" plywood and 1/4" hardboard. I had intended the first pen to be the star of the show but in the end I think I like this pen better. The chatoylance in this pen is awesome.
Plywood Pen.jpg

This is the ornament I made for Ed. I stayed withe the construction theme for it also. It's made from 1/4" plywood, 1/8" hardboard, and some pine 3/4" pine.
Plywood Ornament.jpg

Ed McDonnell

Hi Derek - You really had me fooled with that first pen. I thought the hardboard was solid surface countertop material. I'm amazed at the shine you got on that. I also didn't realize that you had used plywood for the detail. I thought you had glued up the whole thing. But even with 1/4" plywood, that still a lot of glue joints over 4" of detail!!

I agree that the second pen is a real looker. My wife walked into my office and immediately spotted that one on my desk from across the room. I'll need to keep an eye on this pen.

It's tough to pick between the two. I recognize the huge amount of work that went into making the first pen. But that second pen was just born with good looks. Good looks seem to trump hard work more times than not.

I really like the ornament. it would look like a framed snowflake if it weren't in brown tones. They burn the cane fields during the winter down here. Maybe it could be a snowflake that drifted down through the smoke from cane fire. That's it. A florida flake (no, not me the ornament!! :biggrin:)

Thanks Derek.

Ed

Top Bottom