The Debate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ron Mc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Mc

Per a request from a client I have produced a 3 pen set that will be limited to 2 sales.
Set 1 of 2 has already been reserved.
Each pen in the set consists of Holly, Blood wood, and Black Steel wood.

"Rebel"
Rebelclosed.jpg

Rebelopen.jpg

"Conflict"
Conflictclosed.jpg

Conflictopen.jpg

"Resolved"
Resolvedclosed.jpg

Resolvedopen.jpg

As always comments or concerns welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kaspar

Sweet work! The aesthetic of the set really coheres.

Question: What kinds of cutting tools do you all use to get clean joints in your segmented / composited blanks?

I've been able to do a lot with just a tabletop bandsaw, and a disk sander. But I am thinking something like this will really improve precision.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4905

Ron Mc

Interesting that everyone seems to like "Resolved". I may have to play with a holly base some more!

Kaspar,
I use a compound miter saw that I added jigs to to help me cut the blanks with. I tried a table saw and it scared me to death. I would much rather feel the wind from a miter saw blade than play with a table saw. IMHO

Kaspar

Something like this then?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5570

I initially thought about using a 10" compound miter saw, but even one that small was too big, too noisy and too scary. Neither would a regular benchtop table saw work. They're both too big and too dangerous if you want to get close.

Both of the ones I've shown are actually very small, almost like toy versions of their larger counterparts. That Mini Tabletop can only cut to a depth of 7/8". Since that's the largest pen blank I've ever needed, I thought it would be safer and, with the 80 tooth blade, give the kinds of clean joints for which I'm pining.

That's the sort of saw used by Stain Glass window makers to precision cut glass.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
With the addition of a fence and baseplate extension the Diablo blade will work on a CMS.
Even so I will stick with the same blade on a table saw.

Ron Mc

Kaspar,
Actually to do segmented work you would need more than a 7/8" cutting depth. It would be fine if you only cut the blank "straight" but when you add an angle then you have a problem.
I personally use this 10" with an 80 tooth blade:
saw1.jpg

saw2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom