DC's Jungle (castoffs)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ctEaglesc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I received a "I care package" from D.C. a few days ago.(Thanks DC)
Among some other pieces were offcuts(what some people consider scraps or trash,but not me).Evidently when DC made his recent stratowood Barons(stratowood from ilikewood dumpster diver par excellance!)he thought I could use the pieces for center bands.
There are not many woods that will go well with the green in that particular piece of stratowood.
With CA glue anything is possible.

The DC Urban Jungle From Idaho

20056260190_DCjunglestratowood%20003.jpg

Same pen side view

200562601942_DCjunglestratowood%20004.jpg

Feel free to say anything you want, my wife doesn't like green pens.

M

Mudder

Well Eagle,

Once again your craftsmanship makes my pens look like crap!
Think I'll go back and delete my post to avoid the embarrassment.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Slicker than Gorilla Snot! (note: Gorilla Snot is a registered trademark of Gorilla Snot Products - http://www.gorillasnot.com/)

bud duffy

Wow! Eagle i saw the first pic and thought that must have taken days to cut and glue all those really small pieces together. Then i scrolled down to the second and thought it still took quite a while.
Anyway i realy like that pen.

Bud

melogic

Another fine display of craftsmanship and true art. I would some day like to be at this level of craftsmanship. Great job Eagle! And I second the gross Lou. [:D]

woodscavenger

Do you mind showing a pick of your starting material? I am having a tough time wrapping my simple mind around how you did that. That is AWESOME![8D] I would tell you to try for the PMG but I think I know your feelings on that.[;)][:D]

PenWorks

Got to hand it to you Eagle....You laminations are "Masterfull" ! [;)]
It's a toss up of which one I like the most, so I would rather have them both.

Thumbs

Just another example of plebian penmanship.
Predictable workmanship bushing to bushing.
Nauseating coloration.
Horrendous photography.
Predictable and uninspiring.
Just so so at best.
Another common kit pen.

<b>You</b> disagree?[:0] <b>You</b>'re gonna tell me <b>I</b>'m wrong? <b>I</b>'m just suffering from pen envy? Well........

Well, you're right![}:)][:p]
Will you just chill for awhile, <b>Eagle</b>? We need some eye relief![B)][8D][;)]

J. Fred Muggs

Eagle: I generally don't like all the strata/dymond/steel /blah/blah laminated colored wood. But those two pens could cause me to change my mind. Keep up the good work. You're doing South Carolina proud!![8D]

vick

Well I would have bet that no one would ever get me to say anything nice about a green, and yellow pen; but that is amazing!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Thanks to All who looked at the picture of the ONE pen,Going to get redundant here, there is only ONE pen.Some have asked questions so I tried the best I could to answer specific questions in this manner, If it's confusing, I apologise.I think I have them all covered,if I didn't address any specific question or remark e-mail me.

BTW there is no genius at work here.Most of anything I do is pretty much dumb luck.I take those results and try to use them in other designs.
The two biggest factors in my oddball pens is curiosity and persistance.The other is ignorance.If I don't know what "can't" be done I have no limitations until I try.If Im not satisfied with the results, I try again.Every once in a while I get it right the first try.Regardless of your thoughts on this pen it is still a "proto- type" for another.
Thank You for the comments.
This pen could also be called the Fungal pen, it grows on you.

Wow! Eagle i saw the first pic and thought that must have taken days to cut and glue all those really small pieces together. Then i scrolled down to the second and thought it still took quite a while.
Anyway i realy like that pen.

Bud

Bud and others it is there is only one pen.I was dissapointed and happy by the results.The side view the one that has the eyeballs,has striking chatoyance.The "basket weave" in the "front" is close to the effect I was looking for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eagle: I generally don't like all the strata/dymond/steel /blah/blah laminated colored wood. But those two pens could cause me to change my mind. Keep up the good work. You're doing South Carolina proud!!

J.F.M

I have mixed feelings about the wood laminates you mentioned.First it is fairly pricey.I have been turning "laminate" pens since I started turning.A friend gave me some 9 ply oak plywood 2 sides good.I have made many pens from it.I love mixing the colors and grains from naturally colored woods and glueing them up myself.
In this case no one piece was large enough to make a pen so I tried to get the most out of what I had.

"Got to hand it to you Eagle....You laminations are "Masterfull" !
It's a toss up of which one I like the most, so I would rather have them both."

Thanks Anthony, but I guess I can't say it enough,I had minimal stock just barley enough to make one pen, that is all there is ONE PEN, two views.

"Do you mind showing a pick of your starting material? I am having a tough time wrapping my simple mind around how you did that. That is AWESOME! I would tell you to try for the PMG but I think I know your feelings on that."

Shane.
I wish I could show you what I started with, but I didn't photograph the process.All I can do is describe what Lou sent me.
There were 8 pieces of wood when I started.
6 were approximately 3/4 by 6" the thickness was uneven and I had to make them uniform.
The other two pieces were wedge shaped.The size was about 2x6" with the thickness sloping about 1/8-1/4.Those also had to be cut in uniform thicknesses ripped for witdth and then cut to size like the first 6.
Essentially when I Started I had about 50 pieces that were approximately the size of pats of butter.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by lkorn
<br />Very nice Eagle! I envy your ability to work with those small pieces. Someday......
You might not if you had to spend as much time picking CA off your fingers as I do.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Fleabit
<br />Oustanding work as always eagle. I wish I had your "dumb luck" when experimenting. Most of my experiments never make it off the lathe.

A lot of mine never make it TO the lathe.

its_virgil

Eagle,
Really nice...excellent job. I must try some laminations once I get this pen-turning thing figured out. I even like the colors. One man's scrap, anothers pen blank.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Justin_F
<br />Eagle these pens are awesome. Also love the colours (who doesnt like green?) [;)] Best send them to me if you cant keep them...
Only one to a customer, which do you like best?
The top one or the bottom one?[:D]

Rifleman1776

Final result not to my personal taste. (see comments about the Provo contest [:p] ) But I am blown away by the 'howzedoit?' factor and overall quality of workmanship. With your non-conventional thought processes, we should send you over to clean up the U.N. mess.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Yeah, right! I can see me getting "banned" from the World!
NOthing unconventional.
Glue part "A" to Part "B".What's so unconventional about that.
People been doing it for years.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Yeah, right! I can see me getting "banned" from the World!
NOthing unconventional.
Glue part "A" to Part "B".What's so unconventional about that.
People been doing it for years.

Right, just like surgeon 'just' cut out the bad stuff with knives and race car drivers 'just' drive in circles. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom