Dbl Closed-end in stages

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

Recently I have been figuring out how to recess hardware and maximize an all wood pen view without going kitless (yet).

Here is a progression as the black ring is eliminated.

I have a tutorial on the process in the 2011 Library that explains the process.

First photo - Pen at top is Cuban Mohogany on sterling silver Churchill kit. Cap end was cut for clip insertion.
Pen in the middle- Masur Birch with Churchill kit - black ring looks nice on this pen. Clip is hidden.
Pen at bottom - Redwood Lace Burl with mixture of Gentlmen's kit and Churchill tubes. (see Library article) with hidden clip and recessed parts.

Comments welcome.

Martin

Attachments

• Recess-9056.jpg
    Recess-9056.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 313
  • Recess-9057.jpg
    Recess-9057.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 205
  • Recess-9058.jpg
    Recess-9058.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Recess-9059.jpg
    Recess-9059.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Recess-9060.jpg
    Recess-9060.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

Those look great Martin! I'm excited to see the tutorial, thanks for putting in the time to figure out how to do this, and for being willing to document it and share your process with the rest of us.

MartinPens

Thanks Charles. I have been inspired by others here and I hope others can get something out of this. It's a great cycle and is what makes this such a great forum.
Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Rmartin

Beautiful pens! Thanks for documenting the process. I'm a little disappointed you didn't include your method for recessing the clip. Maybe you'll add that later?

MartinPens

I got the clip recessing from an article in the library. I think it's 2010 but could be 2009 or earlier. You'll have to search. The next hidden clip I do, I will do photos and document it. I do it a little different, but generally the same concept - just fine tuned a bit. Thanks!
Martin

its_virgil

Nice pens and execution. I like closed end pens and hidden clips. Visiting with Russ Fairfield last may in Utah we talked about the process of cutting the slot. We had both used similar methods except to one...I had not even considered this one. Russ was using a wood burning tool and a tip that neatly cut the needed slot for the clip. It is so much easier than other methods I've tried for making the slot. Maybe this idea will help you or someone get that slot cut.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I got the clip recessing from an article in the library. I think it's 2010 but could be 2009 or earlier. You'll have to search. The next hidden clip I do, I will do photos and document it. I do it a little different, but generally the same concept - just fine tuned a bit. Thanks!
Martin

MartinPens

its_virgil said:
Nice pens and execution. I like closed end pens and hidden clips. Visiting with Russ Fairfield last may in Utah we talked about the process of cutting the slot. We had both used similar methods except to one...I had not even considered this one. Russ was using a wood burning tool and a tip that neatly cut the needed slot for the clip. It is so much easier than other methods I've tried for making the slot. Maybe this idea will help you or someone get that slot cut.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don,

How special that you got to visit with Russ before his passing. I'm glad we can still experience his generosity via the IAP library. I know I've learned a lot from what he has shared and I've only scratched the surface of it.
I haven't tried the burning tool. Well, I don't even have a burning tool.
I use a Dremmel with a very fine tip and it works very well. The hardest part for me is securing the clip after fitting it. I have not as of yet had any success with inserting any type of plug inside the cap. I still am not completely happy with how I secure it inside, but it does work.
I'm going to get some good photos of the process and post them with Russ' spirit of sharing in mind.
I'm certain there are many posts on here about the process. I'm just not very good at finding what I'm looking for in the search section.
Thanks for the post Don.

Martin

wiset1

Really beautiful work! There's just something so elegant about these pens that jump off the screen. Really great work

wizard

Martin, Beautiful pens !!! Thoughtful layout and demonstration! Thanks so much for your tutorial. I started to collect the stuff needed to follow in your footsteps. Amazing job of recovery with the top in the tutorial. You are both a master craftsman and photographer. Thanks so much for sharing. Regards, Doc

MartinPens

Thanks Doc!
Look forward to seeing some pics from your adventure into this. I picked up a bunch of Churchill replacement tubes from AZ Sil at .55 cents a pair. That's a great price for tubes and I hear they will be going up. Your comments are encouraging and much appreciated.
Martin

Top Bottom