The Day I almost quit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

My goal was to have the wood be contious from end to end after turning so the wood was cut in the zigzag pattern and that was the easy part. needless to say my fingers may stick to the keybord before I am through typing from all of the thin CA I have used since the easy part. This has been the hardest one I have done to date and I am proud to see it in a finished state. Pics were taken on a mirror so both sides could be seen at same time, still working on pic taking. Comments and Critiques are welcome and thanks for looking
bluemahoe001.jpg

bluemahoe007.jpg

bluemahoe012.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

Now for the reason for the title. While cutting segments and getting them right I had 1 a tad large. When I eased it into position I broke the wood into 4 pieces and scattered them all over(the glue was fresh) So after scrambling to get them all back together I managed to glue 2 fingers together and 1 to the wood. that was the bottom half. The top half I broke while drilling it. Unfortunately I also messed it up while working on finish and had to redo it 2 times.

But I made it and glad to have had the experience. Enjoying and learning alot.

Phil

BSea

Now for the reason for the title. While cutting segments and getting them right I had 1 a tad large. When I eased it into position I broke the wood into 4 pieces and scattered them all over(the glue was fresh) So after scrambling to get them all back together I managed to glue 2 fingers together and 1 to the wood. that was the bottom half. The top half I broke while drilling it. Unfortunately I also messed it up while working on finish and had to redo it 2 times.

But I made it and glad to have had the experience. Enjoying and learning alot.

Phil
What's the big deal? Sounds like what happens with most of my pens.:biggrin: At least it seems that way sometimes. But good job. BTW, what kind of wood?

dtswebb

Phil -

Great looking pen and a better recap as to the ease of construction. You had me laughing on the details - we've all been there. If it's a learning opportunity most of us have PhDs!

Matthew

Drstrangefart

Yeah. I've glued myself to more crap than I can imagine trying to make a segmented pen. Most celtic knots I do end up with me gluing myself to either the pen or myself.

firewhatfire

Through all of it I realized I didn't turn a piece for the cap. I think today will be that adventure to add to the piece, trustone of course.

Thanks again for looking and laughing.

Phil

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
An absolute work of art. Great job Phil!

I've been there on the CA before also! Got a big blister from thin CA on the right hand I'm dealing with right now! :beat-up:

BSea

Phil -

Great looking pen and a better recap as to the ease of construction. You had me laughing on the details - we've all been there. If it's a learning opportunity most of us have PhDs!

Matthew
That's a good thought. Instead of a pen business, we should all have a pen practice, like a doctor has a medical practice:doctor:. Isn't every pen we make practice anyway? Because once I think I've got making a certain pen just perfect, the next time something else happens that involves more "Practice".:befuddled:

Top Bottom