David's Second Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

My son, David, age 22, and I made a pen a few weeks ago and it was his first. I just watched and let him do most of the work that day. Yesterday, he took a break from studying from his medical school entrance exam and asked if he and his best friend could use my shop to each make a pen by themselves and I said sure. Well, when I got home from work, this is what I found my son had made. He had used my leftovers from Tru-Stone pen blanks and combined Lapis with pyrite, Black with a gold matrix, and Red with gold matrix on a Titanium Navigator kit. He was extremely proud of it and showed me a diagram where he had measured out the cuts. He asked if I would post it here so he would get feedback (from someone other than from a somewhat biased Dad :rolleyes:). I am sure he would welcome comments. Thank you for looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• David's Second Pen_1.jpg
    David's Second Pen_1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 281
  • David's Second Pen.jpg
    David's Second Pen.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

This pen is fabulous, both in its design and in the execution. His second pen? I still can't do anything like that yet! When he gets tired of learning about tibias and fibulas, he can "escape" for a day or two in your shop!

ctubbs

Doc, I truly hate to have to use such an old saying, but here it is. In this case it is plain that the acorn did not fall from the tree. You will have some real competetion in the pen making arena. With his steady hand and eye, he is destined to be very good in the OR.
Charles

wiset1

That's an awesome looking pen! Segmented pens can be hit or miss, but this one is out of the ball park. Amazing work David

Jgrden

Excellent taste in color. Good job on the transitions. A pen well worth taking to school. I don't want to say anything that would make him change his mind against medical school. I may need his services one day.

wizard

Thank you for all the kind and encouraging comments! My son kept checking through the day at the comments and the resulting smile on his face was priceless.
He spent part of the day yesterday looking online for kits and materials!:eek:
Thanks again, Doc:)

CharlesH

Hey Doc,

I can understand his interest, penturning and studying at this level has similarities. Medicine certainly takes a tremendous discipline, curiosity, dedication and attention to details! Judging from that pen he certainly has figured things fast, you provided the conditions for his talent to emerge, you rock!

I am myself a student, pursuing a MBA, turning is the best way to energize myself. Now you have to show him the "herringbone" tutorial so I buy the blanks he will make! :biggrin:

Charles

Thank you for all the kind and encouraging comments! My son kept checking through the day at the comments and the resulting smile on his face was priceless.
He spent part of the day yesterday looking online for kits and materials!:eek:
Thanks again, Doc:)

Top Bottom