David's Black and Blue Turquoise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

I'm posting this picture for my son David, age 22, who is rapidly becoming addicted to turning. At the rate he is going, he probably is going to pay his way through medical school. He made this. A few weeks ago, an IAP member posted a pen that was very similar to this one and he wanted to give them credit for the idea that resulted in this pen. Although I cannot find the original post, I hope the individual will notice the credit and post a comment. It's a segmented black and turquoise Tru-Stone on a Black Titanium Navigator Rollerball. David was disappointed that the lower turquoise segment did not turn out to having the black veins as prominent. I know David would welcome comments, encouragement and taking time to look. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! Doc:)

Attachments

• David's Turquoise and Black Pen_2.jpg
    David's Turquoise and Black Pen_2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 222
  • David's Turquoise and Black Pen_1.jpg
    David's Turquoise and Black Pen_1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 219
  • David's Turquoise and Black Pen.jpg
    David's Turquoise and Black Pen.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 229
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Great job David, you got a great teacher there.

Lupe,
Thank you for the compliment. As far as David, although he is out of town, I could bet he is checking this thread. I need to get him signed up for IAP. Regards, Doc

wizard

Does he know his old man's a vampire yet? That could explain the exquisite workmanship right out of the gate....

Yep, He knows I get up at 4:30 AM and make a pen nearly every day of the week and usually the first question from him when the sun is up .."Hey Dad..did you make a pen" . By the way, did you know Exotics has some "Blood Red" blanks. They are really good. I broke a fang on one of them. :eek: Just kidding...Regards, Doc

Drstrangefart

Does he know his old man's a vampire yet? That could explain the exquisite workmanship right out of the gate....

Yep, He knows I get up at 4:30 AM and make a pen nearly every day of the week and usually the first question from him when the sun is up .."Hey Dad..did you make a pen" . By the way, did you know Exotics has some "Blood Red" blanks. They are really good. I broke a fang on one of them. :eek: Just kidding...Regards, Doc

So apparently, unlike Male Pattern Baldness, Vampirism doesn't skip a generation. Bet you guys were pretty let down after reading the ingredients on Girl Scout cookies. Talk about false advertizing...

ThomJ

So apparently, unlike Male Pattern Baldness, Vampirism doesn't skip a generation. Bet you guys were pretty let down after reading the ingredients on Girl Scout cookies. Talk about false advertizing...

Great pen David.
Doc, my sister is a writer and her latest book is about vampires, so I'm making her a pen from "bloody red jasper"

wizard

David finally found the pen that inspired him to make his. It was a Titanium Jr. Gent II in Turquoise Acrylic made by Matthew Davis (azamiryou). He just wanted to give Matthew credit. Regards, Doc

OldReg

David sure is doing an excellent job Doc, with a teacher like you I would only expect the best!! Merry Christmas
Thanks Toni! (doc's son here) my dad turned that one, he gives me too much credit. Also I hear your life is headed this way! Look forward to meeting you!

David

ctubbs

David, obviously you listen well to your dad. Both of you make wonderful pens and you have no need to hide your pen talents. That is one beautiful pen, quit hiding your light under a bushel. Keep up the good work and watch out for those 'blood red' blanks. Good teeth are hard to get back. hehe
Charles

phillywood

David, very nice work there. I hope you consider becoming a surgeon since you have a very nice hand works, and Tell your Dad that he needs to watch out now that he got he competition right there in his own house.
Doc, I am suggesting that you start looking into buying a new lathe for your self. I don't think two guys can work on the lathe at the same time.
Happy holidays to both you and your family.

wizard

Phillip, I seriously think I'm about to lose my lathe...he just joined IAP :eek:. He goes by OldReg. Merry Christmas!! Regards, Doc

phillywood

Phillip, I seriously think I'm about to lose my lathe...he just joined IAP :eek:. He goes by OldReg. Merry Christmas!! Regards, Doc
Doc, that's only the beginning, just wait til he really builds up skills then, you have to give up more or just buy him his own shop. That's joy of life, at least you can be proud that he carries your interest and who knows maybe to his children and down the line.

A very nice pen indeed.

If I may, I always have a problem with pens that are sectioned like this that "look" like it was a fix. My thought is if you are going to butt blanks to each other the point of contact is too abrupt in many cases. I would experiment with the look of the butt joint, maybe use a brass shim spacer or aluminum spacer to define the break between the two materials. The spacer shim will help define the two materials and give it a finished look, maybe sandwich the spacers with a dark centre one flanked by paired aluminum or brass... just looks visually more finished... well to me, hope you are okay with that.

OldReg

A very nice pen indeed.

If I may, I always have a problem with pens that are sectioned like this that "look" like it was a fix. My thought is if you are going to butt blanks to each other the point of contact is too abrupt in many cases. I would experiment with the look of the butt joint, maybe use a brass shim spacer or aluminum spacer to define the break between the two materials. The spacer shim will help define the two materials and give it a finished look, maybe sandwich the spacers with a dark centre one flanked by paired aluminum or brass... just looks visually more finished... well to me, hope you are okay with that.

Thanks for the tip! That sounds like a good idea. Going to get some help with the close ended look, and will try the aluminum spacer. If I wanted a black or white spacer, what would the be the best material?

A very nice pen indeed.

Thanks for the tip! That sounds like a good idea. Going to get some help with the close ended look, and will try the aluminum spacer. If I wanted a black or white spacer, what would the be the best material?

Some people use guitar pic's, any sheet acrylic will work

Top Bottom