Daughter's Drumstick & Drilling Q

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lyonsacc

lyonsacc

My daughter plays percussion in high school band. She is a member here and is somewhat responsible for getting me into pen turning. However, schooling and other pursuits have kept her away from the lathe for a while. Someone posted some drumstick pens a few weeks ago and I thought I would make one for her. We had to stop by the music store the other day to pick up a book, so I went back to the drum section with my calipers in hand and got some "fatter" than normal sticks. This is what I came up with.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I had to snap pictures of the pen with my cell phone. Our regular camera (that is somewhat broken) was at work, and my daughter was about to snag the pen and disappear with it. It was relatively easy to make, but I would change a few things next time. The guts of the pen are a Jr. Gent 1 I got from Smitty a couple of years ago. I assembled the entire body of the pen. The stop ring at the end cap is a bit smaller than the stop ring at the nib. So I was able to drill a hole that would accept the fully assembled pen and the stop ring at the nib would keep it from going too deep. I did end up gluing a very small scrap of wood to the brass tube (maybe 1/8 inch by 1/8 inch) and then sand it down to keep things feeling a little more secure while I glued it up with epoxy. Next time I think I will actually glue up a blank at rough turn it down to fit the hole. The cap end was also simple. Drilled a hole of the appropriate size for the tube. I did actually have to do some turning at this point. The end of the hole needed a little widening so that the center band of the cap would recess into the stick.

Now for my problem: My drilling was off center. This pen is a triple thread (I think), and when I was glueing it up I was able to wiggle things enough so that when the labels on the stick line up, the joint is smooth. However, if one of the other "threads" is used when you screw on the cap it is obviously off center. I realized as I was drilling that I had this problem. Below is a pic of my problem. The drum stick is inserted in the chuck as far as it will go. However, the end I need to drill is a handful of inches out from the chuck and I had a small amount of wobble in the stick (I am pointing to the part the I cut and then drilled at). Any ideas how to reduce the wobble that far out from the chuck on such a small item as a drum stick?
A couple things I have wondered about since I made this over the weekend:
Maybe just resetting the stick in the jaws until the wobble is gone.
Maybe starting to drill on the drill press then finish the drilling on the lathe (I think I can get started dead center on the drill press (but not 100% perpendicular) and then finish the drilling on the lathe.
attachment.php

What are your thoughts?
Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20161112_182651 2.jpg
    20161112_182651 2.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 556
  • 20161112_182701 2.jpg
    20161112_182701 2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 558
  • 20161113_223037 2.jpg
    20161113_223037 2.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Before drilling with the bit, try using a center drill to get the hole centered and started. I bought mine from Little Machine Shop several years ago and use them for pre-drilling both wood and acrylics as well as anything else I drill on the lathe. Cuts down on drill drift. With something that long, you may have to steady the shaft with one hand while starting the center drill. Just my $.02.

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4859&category=

lyonsacc

Before drilling with the bit, try using a center drill to get the hole centered and started. I bought mine from Little Machine Shop several years ago and use them for pre-drilling both wood and acrylics as well as anything else I drill on the lathe. Cuts down on drill drift. With something that long, you may have to steady the shaft with one hand while starting the center drill. Just my $.02.

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4859&category=

Hey John,
I was wondering about some sort of centering bit. I had thought about that before hand, but sometimes, with limited time and the excitement of trying something new, I forgot to do anything about it.

I did steady it some with my hand. Ended up less than 1/16th off center, bit that amount still bothers me. . .

Anglesachse

Love this, I made some and the first time I had them on my stand someone grabbed them and I was just able to save them before he started drumming.
I`ve since made three pairs and sold all of them.
Great idea with the labels, have to see if I can find any signed sticks.

Attachments

• IMG_6335.jpg
    IMG_6335.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 248

Jolly Red

Saw this method to center a long round spindle. Lightly chuck up the stick, just enough to hold it steady. Then align the tool rest with the stick at a slight angle, smaller near the tail stock end than the diameter of a round rod. With the lathe running at a slow speed, bring the round rod along the tool rest till it touches the stick, and the stick will run true. Then bring up the live center to hold the stick on center and tighten the chuck. I have done this a couple of times and it does work.

lyonsacc

I've got 2 drumsticks and have wanted to do pens but hadn't figured them out yet. Thanks for the info.

Hi Bob,
I'll be up in Akron over Thanksgiving.

This was really quite easy to do. Both holes were drilled with bits that I already had on hand for some of the regular kits I've done.

lyonsacc

Love this, I made some and the first time I had them on my stand someone grabbed them and I was just able to save them before he started drumming.
I`ve since made three pairs and sold all of them.
Great idea with the labels, have to see if I can find any signed sticks.

I think it was your post that got me thinking about doing these. Might try 2 or 3 more to improve my methods, then look for some fancier sticks. I am hoping to make some for my daughter's percussion instructor, band director, and drum major.

lyonsacc

Saw this method to center a long round spindle. Lightly chuck up the stick, just enough to hold it steady. Then align the tool rest with the stick at a slight angle, smaller near the tail stock end than the diameter of a round rod. With the lathe running at a slow speed, bring the round rod along the tool rest till it touches the stick, and the stick will run true. Then bring up the live center to hold the stick on center and tighten the chuck. I have done this a couple of times and it does work.
I've done something like that before. Not sure why I didn't think of it. Thanks!

Top Bottom