Dark Jarrah Burl Carbara On My New 46-460

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bree

Bree

Well I got my new Delta 46-460 and tried turning a difficult blank right form the get go. I got some Dark Jarrah Burl blanks which looked nice but the wood has many voids and requires a soft touch to avoid chipouts.

I started by doing some CA stabilizing right from the start. I did this three times as I cut deeper into the blank. I also wanted to try a new technique... new for me... so I took a slim parting tool and cut two channels to hold bling from Martha Stewart. One channel got Hematite... the real deal... little tiny pieces of hematite. and the second channel got ultrafine silver glitter.

I used thin CA to hold the blingy glitter as I sprinkled it in there. It wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. (Is anything ever as easy as you think it will be???) I finally got a reasonable quantity of bling in there and then started cutting it all back so only the channels showed. I used a skew with a peeling cut to trim the CA back to the wood.

After that I filled the remaining little voids with several coats of Deft brushing lacquer. Then I sanded it all back down to wood and sanded up to 12,000 MM. I didn't want a real high gloss on this pen because it was already pretty blingy so I used Crystal Friction polish and some Ren Wax. I knew that this combination would tone down after awhile drawing attention to the bling.

The 46-460 was ideal for this work as I used several speeds and both Forward and Reverse drives. It's one fine lathe and I am VERY happy I spent more money to get this extremely high quality piece of equipment. If I had the skill of the pen making artists on this system, I might be downright dangerous with this tool!!

Here are the PIX.

scimg4554.jpg

scimg4555.jpg

scimg4557.jpg

scimg4559.jpg

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

Nice, i have quite a bit of Jarra burl with some major voids and i filled them randomly with silver glitter. Turning them is tricky and you did a nice job on yours.

Bree

Nice, i have quite a bit of Jarra burl with some major voids and i filled them randomly with silver glitter. Turning them is tricky and you did a nice job on yours.

Thanks! This was a very hard pen for me. The wood isn't punky but it is very easy to chipout on it. And the voids are a pain in the butt. The other ones are going to get some kind of stabilization. I went out and bought some MinWax Wood Hardener. I may go and but a paint pot and a vacuum pump to do some push-pull pressure/vacuum work on these and get some resin deep into these blanks.

This is pretty new to me so I am in uncharted waters. I am reading to try to learn how to make something extraordinary out of this type of wood.

To be honest this pen was a disappointment to me in a number of ways. But I like to share whatever I have with the people even if it isn't first rate. The problems stemmed from me and my skills and not the new lathe. Indeed, without the 460 it would have been much worse. I am sure of that.

All that said... how are you getting the glitter into the voids... what is your suspension agent? This Martha Stewart glitter is PRIMO stuff. It has great potential but I need to refine my techniques for working with it... if not simply to keep the glitter from getting all over the place!!

I am not a real blingy person so too much glitter can be very annoying!! Especially in my workshop!!
:eek::eek::eek:

fernhills

Jarra

Thanks! This was a very hard pen for me. The wood isn't punky but it is very easy to chipout on it. And the voids are a pain in the butt. The other ones are going to get some kind of stabilization. I went out and bought some MinWax Wood Hardener. I may go and but a paint pot and a vacuum pump to do some push-pull pressure/vacuum work on these and get some resin deep into these blanks.

This is pretty new to me so I am in uncharted waters. I am reading to try to learn how to make something extraordinary out of this type of wood.

To be honest this pen was a disappointment to me in a number of ways. But I like to share whatever I have with the people even if it isn't first rate. The problems stemmed from me and my skills and not the new lathe. Indeed, without the 460 it would have been much worse. I am sure of that.

All that said... how are you getting the glitter into the voids... what is your suspension agent? This Martha Stewart glitter is PRIMO stuff. It has great potential but I need to refine my techniques for working with it... if not simply to keep the glitter from getting all over the place!!

I am not a real blingy person so too much glitter can be very annoying!! Especially in my workshop!!
:eek::eek::eek:

Hi, i use thin C/A. I don`t know what the brand name of the glitter i used off hand. There is a vidio in the library on how to do this. It is by Ed Davison called, something like, "inlays " that you may find helpful. You can view the Havanna Ballpoint i did at my etsy shop, just scroll down and you will see it. http://www.talltimbers.etsy.com Carl

Bree

Hi, i use thin C/A. I don`t know what the brand name of the glitter i used off hand. There is a vidio in the library on how to do this. It is by Ed Davison called, something like, "inlays " that you may find helpful. You can view the Havanna Ballpoint i did at my etsy shop, just scroll down and you will see it. http://www.talltimbers.etsy.com Carl
Carl...

Here is a link to this glitter set I bought... Terrific almost powdery fine glitter. The darn hematite was real hematitie... magnetic and all.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=ms0243

Your pens look awesome! great work.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom