That dang antler!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MorganGrafixx

MorganGrafixx

So remember about a week or so ago I was talking about a deer antler Zen pen that was commissioned by a customer? Well, here she is. The biggest pain in my butt so far. Fought me all the way to the end. But now that it is done, I can finally look back at it as a great achievement and a great looking pen. I really don't like gold, but it's what the customer wanted, so that's what I made. Even still, one of my favorites so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 166
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

I can understand why it would be one of your favourites. Great looking pen. Did you straighten the antler or did you actually find a piece that would work.

workinforwood

Looks pretty good. Now say a prayer that it doesn't get returned in a few days or several months down the road because it has a huge crack in it! :biggrin:

I'm not saying it will..but not saying it won't. Antlers are unpredictable.

MorganGrafixx

Very nice looking pen. Had to be a challenge just to get a deer antler long enough to do a zen.

Credit for that part goes to Seamus. He came through in a pinch. I went through 3 sets of racks trying to get a usable barrel for this pen. He said he had one that would work. Sure enough he did!

MorganGrafixx

Looks pretty good. Now say a prayer that it doesn't get returned in a few days or several months down the road because it has a huge crack in it! :biggrin:

I'm not saying it will..but not saying it won't. Antlers are unpredictable.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I bet you'd be the same guy to tap a bowler on the shoulder as hes about to roll his 10th frame to tell him he's got a perfect game going too. LOL! I sure hope this one doesn't crack, but I'm not too worried either though. I've done at least 20 antler pens and never had a crack....**Knocks on wood**....before.

MorganGrafixx

I can understand why it would be one of your favourites. Great looking pen. Did you straighten the antler or did you actually find a piece that would work.

Tried straightening a couple. Got them boiled in the water/vinegar for over an hour and a half. Took them to the bench vice, slowly increased the vice pressure.....SNAP! Both times.

workinforwood

I used to love bowling as a kid..was even in a league! I've experienced maybe a 10% crack rate in antlers..so that's like 1 in 10. Sometimes didn't crack for a year later. I don't know if it's true or not, but I hear that if you use the pen a lot then it reduces the chances of cracking because the oil in your fingers keeps the antler from drying out too much. I did do that for about a year, and the pen never cracked..I lost it instead. Go figure. Sounds like a plausible theory though.

seamus7227

you both crack me up! Great job on the pen Morgan! Thats really interesting that you mention that about the antler cracking Jeff. I wonder if there is a difference between fresh antler (under a year old from being shed) and antlers that have weathered? Maybe another study in the works. Knock on wood, I too have never had a problem with them cracking!

U-Turn

I had only one crack and it was one I almost didn't use since it was old and dry. Have not tried the straightening yet.

Old Lar

Nice pen.
I have done 35 or 40 antler pens and have never had one crack. I even did a modified saturn in one piece that has not shown any intention of cracking (yet).

Top Bottom