Damascus Steel Majestic JR Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tjd

tjd

A genuine hand crafted Damascus Steel , Black Titanium and Rhodium Majestic JR Fountain pen.

damascus jr majestic.jpg

damascus majestic jr1.jpg

damascus majestic jr2.jpg

damascus majestic jr 3.jpg

damascus majestic jr 4.jpg

damascus majestic jr 5.jpg

damascus majestic jr 6.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Maybe somebody can answer this ...

Why is Damascus steel so expensive to buy ?

Is it because of the manufacturing process, or is there something in it that is intrinsically precious?

Is its machinability similar to other steels ... easier ... harder ?

I have read the Wikipedia article ... Damascus steel surpasses other steels in plasticity as well as hardness ... it was very popular for sword-making from 3rd century AD to 17th century AD when the industry centered on Damascus, Syria.

Last edited:

MRDucks2

Looked at making knives back when I was too broke to make a sandwich. Damascus is generally higher because of the process is takes to keep folding and hammering the steel. The two things that added to the cost per inch was number of folds/layers and now, if it is made hand or, of course, machine/automated process.

You can now get nice looking Damascus type steels that would work for decorative objects cheaper than Damascus blade quality steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

More4dan

This is more accurately named pattern welded Damascus. Typically made with tool steels with varying compositions with one containing a high nickel content to create a contrast when acid etched. Very labor intensive. Multiple layers are forge welded together, pounded thin, cut and stacked, forge welded again, lather rinse, and repeat to 400-600 layers. Then the final material is disturbed and/or twisted to create a pattern. Finally the material is ground flat or turned round and annealed. Most pattern welded Damascus is carbon steel and will rust. Some is layered Stainless Steels that creates another challenge. It's almost impossible to make the finished product soft and malleable. What softens one component steel hardens the other and vice versa. Requires carbide tooling and drills. But doesn't rust. Also the dark contrasting colors usually requires heat treating the final product before acid etching. W/O heat treat you'll get more grey instead of black. Because the Damascus uses tool steels mainly for knives, the starting materials are expensive. Most of the cost is due to the high labor cost. There are also fewer people making round bar. Those beautiful pens posted made of Mokume Gane are made the same way but with copper, brass, and nickel silver. There are some folks that also do it with platinum, gold and silver. Now we are talking big bucks.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

magpens

Thank you, Mike.

Do you know of a source to purchase Damascus steel suitable for pen blanks ? If so, please let me know.

Thanks, Mal

Thank you, also, Danny. Same question to you. Surely there must be a look-alike that is cheaper and easier to use for pens.

Also, Danny, do you know where to buy the Mokume Gane made with copper/brass/nickel silver ? Would appreciate hearing.

Looked at making knives back when I was too broke to make a sandwich. Damascus is generally higher because of the process is takes to keep folding and hammering the steel. The two things that added to the cost per inch was number of folds/layers and now, if it is made hand or, of course, machine/automated process.

You can now get nice looking Damascus type steels that would work for decorative objects cheaper than Damascus blade quality steel.

Last edited:

More4dan

For pens you could use the cheap Pakistan made Damascus where steel quality doesn't mater. Check eBay. I can find some links for the higher end Damascus makers including a few that make Stainless Steel Damascus.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

tjd

Thank you very much, Danny !!

You may be able to get smaller diameter made at lower prices. Seems a waste to turn down 1"-1 1/2" bar for a pen.

I managed to buy 5/8 Damascus steel bar off Ebay a year ago, what i have noticed is the price , it has risen a lot over the past year for the rod.
Thanks for the links, learn't a lot from those sights on the etching process.

magpens

Thanks, Dave. I had forgotten about those ones at Classic Nib.

But now that I have seen it again, I remember why I forgot about it .... $100 for half a blank !!!! LOL

Top Bottom