Damascus Steel Knurl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveG

SteveG

This pen represents an extensive learning experience. There are a whole lot of "Firsts" achieved in this project, and a lot of time invested. The effort was helped greatly by suggestions provided in an earlier thread, as I contemplated how to transform the gnarly, twisted, rusty rod of Damascus Steel (bought from Roy), into a nice writing instrument. I ended up sending the rough rod out to be turned down to something I could work with on my small 7 X 16 lathe (Thanks Nikitas). Armed with ideas on tooling, technique, a recipe for etching, and much more, I was able to produce a pen with a smooth, slightly curved shape, ending up with a profile that I liked. The close shot shows how much texture is introduced during the etching process. So thanks to all who offered some help along the way. I think it was fun! :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Attachments

• Damas Stl 1.jpg
    Damas Stl 1.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 333
  • Damas Stl 2.jpg
    Damas Stl 2.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 311
  • Damas Stl 3.jpg
    Damas Stl 3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 337
  • Damas Steel 4.jpg
    Damas Steel 4.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 411
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Fantastic pen, Steve !!!!! . DO NOT sell that one !!!!!

I expect to transition within a year from my current activity of making/selling pens (in a semi-retired mode of operation), to become a "Hobbiest Pen Maker". That said, if I were to price this pen to yield a reasonable rate for my time, no one would choose to buy it! (I fully accept that a lot of the 'time' expended to the making of this pen should be allocated to the cost of training. :wink:) The pen will likely be with me for a while, and then end up as a gift to someone. :biggrin:

Speaking of the cost of learning: this material is far different from any other that I have worked. I am going to post a thread within a day, with summary tips (based on my first time attempting this type of work) for working with Damascus Steel using a mini-lathe. This will be posted in the "Metal Lathes" forum, since most of the info will relate to selecting the optimum tooling. Even with lots of helpful suggestions, some aspects of this project really beat me up! :bulgy-eyes:

More4dan

I'm looking forward to your write up. I've been itching to start turning my Damascus rod as well. I've seen Damascus pens selling in the $800-$1500 range utilizing $30-$50 kits.

OZturner

Brilliant Pen Steve.
Excellent Choice of Kit, the Knurl and Damascus Steel, is Beautiful.
Great Craftsmanship, Perseverance, and Ingenuity.
Congratulations.
Brian.

wizard

Steve,
That is absolutely awesome!! As I have worked with Damascus and Mokume... I am truly impressed with your skill and patience. You did a great job of bringing out the grain. Looks great with the rugged looking knurled components!
Excellent craftsmanship!!
Regards, Doc

Top Bottom