Dam Steel custom ballpoint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lorbay

lorbay

I bought this damascus steel about a year ago and have just found time to turn a pen out of it. Brass acsents and Parker style refill.
She is a weighty old girl.:biggrin:
Comments welcome.

Lin.

Attachments

• _MG_0222.jpg
    _MG_0222.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 321
  • _MG_0219.jpg
    _MG_0219.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 201
  • _MG_0229.jpg
    _MG_0229.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 183
  • _MG_0230.jpg
    _MG_0230.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 204
  • _MG_0232.jpg
    _MG_0232.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Beautiful and well done!

I am contemplating turning some of my own brass parts in the future. Something has been kinda nagging at me about one aspect. Are there different shades of brass as well as harness and malleability? Yours looks a little more yellow than others. Could be the lighting as well as the DM steel making it look that way.

I love total creativity like this! Thanks for posting it!

lorbay

Beautiful and well done!

I am contemplating turning some of my own brass parts in the future. Something has been kinda nagging at me about one aspect. Are there different shades of brass as well as harness and malleability? Yours looks a little more yellow than others. Could be the lighting as well as the DM steel making it look that way.

I love total creativity like this! Thanks for posting it!
Thanks.
Yes I believe there are different hardness as in cast brass seems to be a bit brighter than this one. I believe this is cold rolled.
Lin

OZturner

Glorious Pen, Lin.
Outstanding Damascus Steel Body, Beautiful Brass Fittings.
I love the Beautiful and Precise Match you have Achieved between the Cap and the Body, Outstanding.
Superb Machining,
Love the Existing Finish, Have you treated it or is it "Au Natural"?
Congratulations on Your Superb Craftsmanship Demonstrated.
Brian.

lorbay

Glorious Pen, Lin.
Outstanding Damascus Steel Body, Beautiful Brass Fittings.
I love the Beautiful and Precise Match you have Achieved between the Cap and the Body, Outstanding.
Superb Machining,
Love the Existing Finish, Have you treated it or is it "Au Natural"?
Congratulations on Your Superb Craftsmanship Demonstrated.
Brian.

This was a 3/4" round rod I then turned down to pen size. After the pen was all fitted I then polished it to 2000 grt disassembled it and then dipped the steel in an acid. Then it was polished and waxed.

Lin

SteveG

Nice looking pen. Making a custom pen that is postable presents its own set of challenges, and it seems that some pass on attempting that. It looks like you have scaled that barrier nicely.
I have recently completed and posted a 'kit' pen in Damascus which has a slightly curved profile. I am curious how you dealt with turning a profile that included some gentle curves, working on a metal lathe?

lorbay

Nice looking pen. Making a custom pen that is postable presents its own set of challenges, and it seems that some pass on attempting that. It looks like you have scaled that barrier nicely.
I have recently completed and posted a 'kit' pen in Damascus which has a slightly curved profile. I am curious how you dealt with turning a profile that included some gentle curves, working on a metal lathe?

The bulk of the material was removed with the compound slide set on an angle the rest was done with a file to smooth over the edges.

Lin

Top Bottom