Dad's Christmas Present

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jskeen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jskeen

Finally got to work on something for my family this week. Dad insisted he wanted a slim set that wouldn't drag down his shirt pocket.

20071130163650_DIset.jpg

Interesting story on this wood. I acquired it as an incredibly ugly cactus statue at a junk store, along with an equally hideous owl, and a marlin. On a later visit, my dad immediately claimed the cactus and declared that the knife scales I had been promising and a set of slabs for his gold cup were to be found in there somewhere. I did make him help with the sanding and polishing though. So... looks like he has a pen set to match now.

Blanks were turned, sanded at 180 and 320, sealed with ca and wetsanded at 320, then dry at 600 and 1500, then buffed on my homemade beale with brown tripoli, white rouge, then 2 coats of renwax.

suggestions are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

those look nice. i'll be interested to hear how that finish technique wears, let us know. great salvage of wood also, that's a pretty grain pattern. any idea what it is?

jskeen

Pretty sure it's Desert Ironwood. Couple of my old knifemaking buddies with lots of experience verified it. I'ts harder than old folks toenails and takes a great shine. The vendor claimed the statues came from mexico but had no proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom