Dabbling with the Dark Side.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ron Mc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Mc

I spent some time the last couple days deep in the realms of the dark side.

Black SteelWood / Black Dyed Curly Maple.
DSclose.gif

DSopen.gif

As always comments, concerns or gripes are welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OSCAR15

Ron...Awesome work.....curious about how you did the laminations...It appears that you cut the pieces on an oblique angle. Is it CA holding the lamination together? In any case, it is a beautiful pen indeed....
OSCAR

2006328234624_thumbup.gif

Ron Mc

Oscar,
The pieces are all cut at 45 degree angles. One thing to remember is that when I create a blank like this I drill first then cut. This way the holes in each piece are at a 45 degree as well. Yes I use Med CA for all my glue ups.

Gerry,
I have found that the Black Dyed Curly Maple has a grey color to it. Actually this is why I used it to contrast the black of the Black SteelWood.

One note that I didn't mention is because of the way I build the blanks the curl in the maple actually travels around the pen from one segment to the next. Thus you don't loos the beautiful curl.[;)]

BigRob777

Ron,
Yowza, that's sweeeeeet!!! I've never heard of anyone dyeing curly maple black. What a neat concept. I'm just getting into dyes myself, but haven't been able to get the dye through the wood, so I have to have them stabilized too. Was that professionally dyed, or did you do it yourself?
Rob

Rifleman1776

Outstanding! With equally outstanding effect. The grain of the maple come through in a very exciting manner. I believe chatoyance is even coming through in the photo. You have set a new standard.

Ryan

Ron, I am not a fan of a lot of the laminations and therefore do not comment on them, BUT this one is FANTASTIC. This is my favorite segmented pen bar none![:p]

Great job.

Ryan

Ravenbsp

Beautiful. You've done a great and very tasteful job in choosing materials and a design that mesh beautifully. There is no need to mention that the worksmanship is masterful, the photo says all that needs to be said!

L32

The combination is astounding. Truely a breathtaking pen[:)]
PS I got blanks you sent me today, mail sent, Thanks for the checkerboard blanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom