A Czardine Euro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Czarcastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czarcastic

Czardine #2 (Rachel, 12) decided that she wanted to make a pen, too. ;)
This is a Woodcraft Euro Kit, with Indigo Royalwood (Diamondwood) from CSUSA.
This was her first Euro-style pen.
Sanded with MM to 12000, then Hut Crystal Coat.
IR_euro2.jpg

IR_euro3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Looks great! She is coming right along. I brightened up the photos a bit. A little washed out, but a better view...

Hope you don't mind. She did a great job!

James

2005814183520_IR_euro2.jpg

2005814183544_IR_euro3.jpg

Steven you may need to build a bigger shop with this kind of work. I can see your smile of pride all the way up here. BTW a church member just bought some houses in Largo and has offered to let us use them for vacation sometime. Maybe we can get together if we do.

Czarcastic

Originally posted by pastorbill1952
<br />BTW a church member just bought some houses in Largo and has offered to let us use them for vacation sometime. Maybe we can get together if we do.
Pastorbill:
I'm looking forward to that! If/when you decide to come down, make sure you let me know.

Czarcastic

Originally posted by csb333
<br />My 13 year old daughter wants to make one. How long did it take you to teach her how to make such a good looking pen? Where did you start?
CSB:
Rachel and Joshua have been "helping" me in the shop since they were small, and the first things they learned were "Shop Safety" techniques.
Safety Goggles no matter what, when, or where in the shop they were.
Never touch a tool without knowing how it works, what it does, and when to use it.
Watch. ask questions.
To start, I Explained the "ABC" method (Anchor, Bevel, Cut) and all the safety and precautions about the lathe, and a lot about how a lathe works and what they can and can't do with it.
Then, I let them try some turning on some scrap wood with me holding on to the tool to guide them (like you would teach a kid to swing a baseball bat or a golf club).
From there, they turned their first pens with a lot of help from me, gaining ability and confidence each time.
A lot of what I taught them was patience, understanding that its OK to make a mistake and that no one is an expert on their first try.
They were turning (with help) after a few hours, and within a few weeks, by the time they had turned their fourth or fifth pens, they were on their own (I was in the shop watching, of course).
They still shy away from the bandsaw, but have no problems with all fo the other steps from measuring and marking, to drill press, to turning to final finish.
Both have been turning for about six months now, and I have to say that they impress me with their turning technique and skills.
Joshua is even thinking about making some to sell at school, but Rachel (like me) would rather make them to give as gifts for people she cares about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom