Cut shell in red celluloid.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stevers

stevers

Hi All,
Here is a cut shell case pen done in a red marble celluloid. It has a custom CB made from the shell. The clip is from a fancy slim line kit. I'm not sure what the shell is. My FIL sends me bags of goodies from time to time. This is number three and the best so far. The LOML already claimed this one. I made one earlier today to send the FIL and have one I am going to keep.
What do you all think? Is the balance good?

Attachments

• PR cut shell pen 600.JPG
    PR cut shell pen 600.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 361
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That one get the thumbs up without a doubt. Nice work. The color of the blank adds the right touch.

Steve, I forgot did you say you powdercoat your cartridges or do you lacquer them???

MobilMan

Ditto on what I said about the last one. The balance on this one seems better, I like the wider center band. That red is made for that one. Great choice. Do you have any trouble drilling the bullet out 'dead' center? I can see why she would grab that one up in a hurry.

stevers

Thanks Alton.

I don't coat my cases John. I leave them to turn naturally. That and I'm too cheap to invest in a PCing set up.

Thanks Richard. Hey, when are you coming through again?

stevers

Ditto on what I said about the last one. The balance on this one seems better, I like the wider center band. That red is made for that one. Great choice. Do you have any trouble drilling the bullet out 'dead' center? I can see why she would grab that one up in a hurry.

Richard, I forgot to answer this part. The way I do it is backwards from some. I drill it on the lathe for one. I mount the bullet in the Bealle chuck with the tip facing in, towards the head stock. With the butt end of the bullet facing the bit, I drill it out with the larger bit first, then I drill out the tip with the smaller bit. I use oil to keep the bit from getting hot and melting the lead in the bullet. (learned from experience) The Bealle chuck and a good Jacobs chuck seem to do the trick fine. Everything seems to line up well.
To clarify what I'm talking about, you should read Don Ward's tutorial in the library. It explains the two diff bits.

MobilMan

Thanks Steve. Yea, I've read it [and a BUNCH of others] was wondering just how easy it is. If/when I make another cart. pen, I'll have to re-read it anyway. My memory is about the length of a slimline bushing. Can't wait to get to see your new items in person again.

stevers

Thanks Steve. Yea, I've read it [and a BUNCH of others] was wondering just how easy it is. If/when I make another cart. pen, I'll have to re-read it anyway. My memory is about the length of a slimline bushing. Can't wait to get to see your new items in person again.

You can see them as soon as you come by. Your always welcome here. Any of you are welcome here. I enjoy meeting fellow pen crafters.

And I know what you mean about the memory. I almost forgot what I was replying to. :biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks Scott, I'm pretty happy with this latest one.

Top Bottom