Custom Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dkrwoodturning

Six years ago I made this custom Sierra http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/custom-sierra-23439/ I decided to to one today Out of Deer Antler and Solomon Island Blackwood.

Last Wednesday at my local guild, my ability as a wood turner was questioned buy a new member because his words were any monkey can make a pen and that my 5 grand champion awards that I have won was a fluke. He is a new member and has done a 4 week turning course. By this stage I was a tad ****ed off but apparently he has rubbed many people the wrong way. I know I don't have to prove myself but man I am going to enjoy doing this.

Mistakes were made, lessons learned for next time. The only visible metal component is the clip, it is no way perfect but see what you think.

Cheers
Darren (bdar)

Attachments

• P1070032.JPG
    P1070032.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 389
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Emery

Incredible pen! I really like it. As a newer turner I know I don't currently have the skills to make something like this. Great job.

hewunch

He won't last long, so don't worry about him. I've had comments like that from people who have only done slims with friction polish. But sooner or later they realize there is a difference.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Nicely done on the pen. Once is a fluke, I have met children/adults that act like that. They can only tear down what they cant accomplish.

KenV

I like it --

I appreciate your forebearance -- new turners often parrot what they have been hearing and what they read on the internet. There are still a lot of turners around that view pens as poor relation in the turning game. That is slowly changing - but will be around a while - especially amongst the bowl and art bunch.

OKLAHOMAN

Now that's what is called "Usable Art" and at the proper venue would bring $175 to $225.00. Now ask him what he's sold lately.

seamus7227

I love all of those pens! No newbie is gonna be able to throw down like that so quickly. Tell him about this site and see if he has the sack to post his pictures and take criticism!

firewhatfire

I wish I was a monkey that lived close enough to put my hands on that pen. I would really enjoy looking that one over really close. An amazing pen by an apparantly amazing artist.

Phil

Top Bottom