Custom Serpentine Cebloplast Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Finally finished it this A.M. Been really busy at work and haven't had as much time making pens. But I've been working on this a little each morning...basically to keep my stress level down. It's a custom fountain pen made from serpentine cebloplast that was a gift from a friend. Has a #6 Medium Point Gilded Bock Nib. I couldn't decide whether to make the section using the same cebloplast or ebonite...I went with the ebonite just to give it some contrast...still not quite sure I like it....so I went ahead and started on a cebloplast section. LOL..Was a little indecisive this morning.:rolleyes:. Had fun working on it...felt like a mini vacation. Comments and feedback welcomed. Most of all, thanks so much for taking the time to look. Doc:)

Attachments

• Custom Serpentine Cebloplast Fountain Pen.jpg
    Custom Serpentine Cebloplast Fountain Pen.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 524
  • Custom Serpentine Cebloplast Fountain Pen_1.jpg
    Custom Serpentine Cebloplast Fountain Pen_1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 322
  • Custom Serpentine Cebloplast Fountain Pen_2.jpg
    Custom Serpentine Cebloplast Fountain Pen_2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 286
  • Custom Serpentine Cebloplast Fountain Pen_3.jpg
    Custom Serpentine Cebloplast Fountain Pen_3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 343
  • Custom Serpentine Cebloplast Fountain Pen_4.jpg
    Custom Serpentine Cebloplast Fountain Pen_4.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Beautiful! You said you messed with that material as stress RELIEF:eek:? Man, I have to be in my strongest zen mode to even think about turning that stuff.

I like the black section. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing :rolleyes:

Timebandit

Wow, leave up to you to bring me out of hiding!! This is beautiful pen Doc! One of your best i think. You knocked it out of the park...........But please slow down........ i need to catch up:biggrin:

wizard

Haven't had a chance to be on the site to get back to this..but I just want to thank you for all the kind words and encouragement. Moreover, thanks for the comments ...I decided to leave the black ebonite section... I do think the looks better with the contrast. Most of all, I wish for each and all of you a wonderful, peaceful and safe Christmas!!! Regards, Doc:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This is the first I have seen this pen, Doc!!

Anyone who has worked with Cebloplast has to be in awe!! This is an amazing bit of workmanship (AND a very nice looking pen!!)

Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

Ed

PR_Princess

What a beauty of a pen Shreenath. I really like that material, and you did a masterful job with it! Just lovely!!

P.S. I like the black section better too. :cool:

wizard

Thanks so much for all your kind comments and encouragement! I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful New Year!! Regards, Doc:)

beautiful pen!! I have a few rods of this material but have not had any luck drilling it with out failure. Any tips please?

Jim, I was going back to read comments and noticed your question. I sincerely apologize for the delay in responding.

There are a few things that I do now as a result of previous failures with cebloplast.
1. I always use a collet chuck than chuck with jaws.
2. For drilling on my Jet VS, I use the lowest speed on my lathe with the belts on lowest setting.
3. I sharpen my drill bits with the Drill Doctor immediately prior to when I work with cebloplast. The sharp bits really decrease the heat during drilling. I always start with a center drill.
4. I only go a 15mm at a time, withdrawing the bit and cooling the the inside of the drilled hole and bit with compressed air until the bit is comfortable to touch. I quit using water, DNA or any type of cooking spray. The cooking spray, in particular, has a high heat capacity making it harder to cool.
5. I insert the drill bit back into the blank/rod about 1/2" from I previously reached and then turn the lathe back on rather than going through the opening each time I drill further. The drill bit has less of a chance of hitting the lip of the threaded tenon going in.
6. When I turn the cap and barrel, I use a new carbide insert. I turn using the lowest speed with belt setting with the VS knob at 50%. I try to decrease the heat in that manner.
7. For finishing, I use the VS at 50% with the belts set for the highest range of speed. I start at 400 grit wet sandpaper and use very light pressure. I stop the lathe following each grit, cross sand lightly, and repeat the process through every grit all the way to 12000 using wet sandpaper and wet micromesh.
8. I finish using HUT plastic Polish and then Novus 3 spray.
5. The above is what works for me and I have had no failures since I have been doing it.
Jim, lol..that's probably more information than you wanted and I apologize in advance. However. if you have any questions..feel free to PM me. Regards, Doc:)

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Doc: I think you made the correct choice when you chose to stay with the black ebonite. Very classy. Ed, I thought, indicated cebloplast being a "different" turn. I haven't done any of it. What did you find? How is it different from alumilite?

SDB777

I like the contrasting section, gives the eye some place to rest while taking in the blank. For a non-pen turning person, I would think it would be an asset as well....just to let them know how many different things had to come together to make this instrument.

Do you use a closed-end mandrel while making the lower section(body if you will)??

Scott (sure is purty) B

wizard

Doc: I think you made the correct choice when you chose to stay with the black ebonite. Very classy. Ed, I thought, indicated cebloplast being a "different" turn. I haven't done any of it. What did you find? How is it different from alumilite?

Joe, Thank you! The following is just my opinion as an answer to your questions. I think the cebloplast is a little less forgiving of a material while turning. It is lighter, less resilient, more flexible, more sensitive to heat and requires a lighter or gentler touch while turning and threading than does alumilite. Regards, Doc:)

I like the contrasting section, gives the eye some place to rest while taking in the blank. For a non-pen turning person, I would think it would be an asset as well....just to let them know how many different things had to come together to make this instrument.

Do you use a closed-end mandrel while making the lower section(body if you will)??

Scott (sure is purty) B

Scott, Thank you for the kind words! I've tried to explain some of the drilling and turning methods that I use in a previous post. If anyone has any specific questions..feel free to P.M.
No..not a closed end mandrel. I use a custom made threaded brass mandrel upon which both the upper cap and lower barrel screw onto and which provide stability while turning. Regards, Doc:)

Tortoise

Magnificent work. This pen could have stepped right out of 1930!

I really appreciate all the detailed how-to information you've posted. I'm printing out a copy for reference!
Renee

Top Bottom