Custom Red Acrylic Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lhowell

lhowell

I made this acrylic about a month ago using Alumilite, Alumilite red and white dyes, and Alumidust interference red and pearl powders. I really wanted a unique depth to the blank using the red dye with the interference red powder.

The tubes and drilled hole were painted Red using Testor's Model Master paint and I used a gunmetal cigar pen to pair with the blank. 10 coats of thin CA applied over to gloss it up a bit.

I sent a few of these blanks to my friend and he painted the tubes black which I think gave the blank even more depth! Once I get out of this blasted sling I think I will try another piece of this acrylic with black tubes instead of red.

Sorry for the bad pictures...I don't have a light box setup yet and I was trying to get natural sunlight to reflect out the pearl and interference red in the blank.

Attachments

• IMG_4613.jpg
    IMG_4613.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_4614.jpg
    IMG_4614.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_4615.jpg
    IMG_4615.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 180
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Looks great! The first pic shows some very nice swirls. I find myself backpainting with black probably 80-90% of the time now. I think it really brings out some depth with the colors I tend to use, although I have no idea why. Just about the only time I don't use black is if I'm using white, ivory, or yellow for the blank which isn't often.

keithncsu

I really wish I would not have screwed up those two blanks!!! Those were going to be some AWESOME pens! I still have the 2 lower tubes of the Jr. Gent II I was going to use. Still trying to figure out if there is anything I can do with those.

lhowell

Looks great! The first pic shows some very nice swirls. I find myself backpainting with black probably 80-90% of the time now. I think it really brings out some depth with the colors I tend to use, although I have no idea why. Just about the only time I don't use black is if I'm using white, ivory, or yellow for the blank which isn't often.

Same. I backpaint mostly everything either black or silver. This was actually the first red tube I had done. I have some acrylic for a "mahi-mahi" pen I have in my head where I swirled neon green, neon yellow, and a deep blue together and I have painted the tubes with neon yellow with finger nail polish. Bad thing about fingernail polish is it builds extra thickness quickly.

lhowell

I really wish I would not have screwed up those two blanks!!! Those were going to be some AWESOME pens! I still have the 2 lower tubes of the Jr. Gent II I was going to use. Still trying to figure out if there is anything I can do with those.

Keith, what if you parted off the bad ends and mated some nice wood cutoffs to the ends and finished turning it that way? I've seen several "oops" done this way and they turn out stunning!

Top Bottom