Custom Olive Wood Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeL

MikeL

Third crack at a kitless/custom. Wanted to go with wood since I am a bigger fan of the natural character of wood.
#5 medium Nib from Meisternibs
Black ebonite from Exotic Blanks
Clip from Richard Greenwald
olive wood from ebay
tap and dies from sliver pen parts/little machine shop

Thanks

Attachments

• CustomOliveWood1.jpg
    CustomOliveWood1.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 416
  • CustomOliveWdBurl1.jpg
    CustomOliveWdBurl1.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 486
  • CustomOliveWdBurl2.jpg
    CustomOliveWdBurl2.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 392
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Wow...!

What a beautiful piece of Olive wood burl. I don't see much of that stuff on sale, I have/sell some if it on eBay and I wonder if that has come from any of my lot...???

Regardless if was or not, that is certainly a true Exhibition grade blank put to use in a magnificent way. Workmanship is flawless, those wood types transitions are simply perfection but, and without any questions, that finish is truly amazing. If anyone wants to know what a "glass finish" is, this is superb example...!

Congrats...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

eranox

That is absolutely immaculate. Can you share your finish formula? I think I could shave in the reflection from that pen.

MikeL

Thanks for the compliments.

George-I do not recall who I bought the wood from on eBay. I have been to your sight before so it could very well be your wood.

Dave-The finish is CA. I first sand using boiled linseed oil. Then apply about 3 layers of CA with BLO and then about 4-5 more coats of just CA ( no BLO last coats ). Final sanding/ buffing is up to 600 grit lightly with lathe on then horizontal with lathe off. Once all ridges/pits are gone I move on to EEE and then the three step Dr. Kirks polish. I have learned to like the Dr. Kirks over using micro mesh.

Also, I should mention a closed end mandrel is needed for these pens and I had one made by rherrell. The fit of the mandrel was perfect.

Mike

Last edited:

MikeL

Great finish, but I didn't think the CA would stick to BLO?

Some people like CA with BLO and some don't. I like how BLO seems to make the wood richer. Sanding with BLO is not part of this link but applying BLO with the applications of CA is. I just like sanding with liquids to keep dust down. This time I sanded with BLO and it worked fine. I wiped down and burnish in before the BLO and CA steps in this link.
http://content.penturners.org/library/techniques/ca-blo.pdf

MikeL

Some people like CA with BLO and some don't. I like how BLO seems to make the wood richer. Sanding with BLO is not part of this link but applying BLO with the applications of CA is. I just like sanding with liquids to keep dust down. This time I sanded with BLO and it worked fine. I wiped down and burnish in before the BLO and CA steps in this link.

I found the link on YouTube I was looking for if you are interested.

Russ Fairfield's Pen Finishing, 4 of 5 - With CA and BLO - YouTube

Brooks803

Beautiful pen Mike! I love the shape and overall design. I love the shape you have on your front section. Very graceful. Not bad for only a 15 step process :tongue::biggrin:

In the 2nd pic. On the very end of the body finial there looks like a white dot. Is that a bit of dust, or a little dimple left by the live center? IF it is a dimple one trick I learned to do is to make that part able to unthread. Then make a small mandrel to hold it on it's own so you can put it back on the lathe and turn down the very end without it being wobbly as it would be on the full length pen unsupported.

Your finish on everything is gorgeous. The cap/body threads aren't quite as glossy, but they look good! I might have to try removing the first couple of threads like you did. I like that look. Very clean.

MikeL

Jonathan, I hope it is dust. I will have to check out tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. Good eye for detail on section finish verses threaded body finish. I tried polishing using a toothbrush several times. Couldn't quite get the shine to match. Any advice there?

Brooks803

Jonathan, I hope it is dust. I will have to check out tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. Good eye for detail on section finish verses threaded body finish. I tried polishing using a toothbrush several times. Couldn't quite get the shine to match. Any advice there?

I've found the best way to get that area shiny is to polished it all the way before cutting the threads. Maybe you can try some EEE paste wax on that toothbrush and then some polishing agent. That might make it a little brighter. Honestly though I wouldn't worry about it on this pen. It's gorgeous just as it is.

lwalper

OK, thanks, that's very helpful.

I found the link on YouTube I was looking for if you are interested.

Russ Fairfield's Pen Finishing, 4 of 5 - With CA and BLO - YouTube

dbledsoe

That pen is gorgeous and I think you have just given me the direction I want to take my pen obsession. I love wood, but so far my kitless have all been Alumalite or PR. Should be a challenge worthy of my retirement - if it ever happens.
How about a picture of the recipe you have in the background?

Last edited:

MikeL

That pen is gorgeous and I think you have just given me the direction I want to take my pen obsession. I love wood, but so far my kitless have all been Alumalite or PR. Should be a challenge worthy of my retirement - if it ever happens.
How about a picture of the recipe you have in the background?

I don't mind providing you pictures of my notes. I did hours of reading anywhere I could get information of those that I consider much more talented. So, my notes are from readings and then some adjustments I made for myself after making my first one (which was with alumilite). If you are still interested I sure don't mind just realize the notes were not meant to be a tutorial and may not be a complete roadmap. The notes are about 3 pages. Let me know. I can post here or use PM.

Top Bottom