Custom Oblique Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CSue

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I've had my first order for a custom Oblique Pen. The lady wanted one like hers. So you don't have to guess, mine is made of Cocobolo - and doesn't have the finale. Hers is the undetermined wood pen.
No2_Cocobolo_riveted_flange6.jpg
[
No2_Cocobolowithrivetedflange5.jpg

I'm still learning how to do a finale without breaking the staff.
Comments, etc welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rarest wood

do the finial first! then withdraw back down the spindle towards the drive center, this allows the finial to remain steady and not wip about as it is held by the meat of the unturned part. Use a face plate with a bit of MDF or similar turn a mortice hole into the mdf two thirds smaller than the spindle. take that off then turn the spindle roughing it out with a corresponding tennon on one end, replace the face plate knock in the spindle with a tad of glue re- knock the spindle tennon in the face plate part turn the spindle concentricaly ( as it will be a nats whisker out )start the finial at the tailstock end and work back, finaly parting off.

This pen intreagued me it the sort of job I love doing not run of the mill so to speak. The origenal pen seems to be made of old cuban mahogany.

marcruby

One addition to Rarest Woods comments - use a onehanded grip for shaping and support the finial and guide the tool with your other. This is a whole lot easier to show than to explain. Cindy Drozda has a DVD or two on the subject.

Marc

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you so much, Ken and Marc. That will make it so much easier. I've been starting at the "nib end."

Yes, most "lefties" use this type of penholder for Calligraphy so the ink doesn't get smeared. And yes, I did make it myself. That part I got. It's doing the finial I have a hard time with.

Where can I find the dvd?

Top Bottom