Custom Kitless Fiery Flows

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Robert111

Robert111

I loved the intense color of this imported resin when I first saw it. Semigloss ebonite section carries threads for the cap.

5.5" capped
4.8" uncapped
Cap is 2.3"
Diameter at clip is 5/8"
Weight w/ converter is 22 grams

Threading:
12 x .8 barrel-cap join
7/16 cap-finial join
9 x .75 section-barrel join

Attachments

• Custom Kitless Fiery Flows 001 (Small).JPG
    Custom Kitless Fiery Flows 001 (Small).JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 236
  • Custom Kitless Fiery Flows 006 (Small).jpg
    Custom Kitless Fiery Flows 006 (Small).jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Custom Kitless Fiery Flows 008 (Small).jpg
    Custom Kitless Fiery Flows 008 (Small).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 168
  • Custom Kitless Fiery Flows 011 (Small).JPG
    Custom Kitless Fiery Flows 011 (Small).JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Custom Kitless Fiery Flows 015 (Small).JPG
    Custom Kitless Fiery Flows 015 (Small).JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Custom Kitless Fiery Flows 016 (Small).JPG
    Custom Kitless Fiery Flows 016 (Small).JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 145
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InvisibleMan

So it looks like a friction fit to post? Did you drill a 7/16 hole in the cap past the threads to accomplish this? I'm struggling to make posting finial threads that don't look out of place and would like the friction fit option myself.

Robert111

So it looks like a friction fit to post? Did you drill a 7/16 hole in the cap past the threads to accomplish this? I'm struggling to make posting finial threads that don't look out of place and would like the friction fit option myself.

The cap doesn't post Lyle, but I'm going for that next time. I did drill the cap 7/16 for both the barrel-cap threads and the cap-finial threads--in other words, right through the cap.

InvisibleMan

The cap doesn't post Lyle, but I'm going for that next time. I did drill the cap 7/16 for both the barrel-cap threads and the cap-finial threads--in other words, right through the cap.

Ah, cap finial. Got it. I really like the shape of this one. Have also toyed with the idea of putting cap threads on the section, but haven't tried yet. If you screw the cap on tight, do you ever have the section unscrew when taking the cap off?

I really don't like postable pens for my own use, but feel like I need to make them post when I make them for other people. I just haven't liked how mine look yet.

Robert111

Ah, cap finial. Got it. I really like the shape of this one. Have also toyed with the idea of putting cap threads on the section, but haven't tried yet. If you screw the cap on tight, do you ever have the section unscrew when taking the cap off?

I really don't like postable pens for my own use, but feel like I need to make them post when I make them for other people. I just haven't liked how mine look yet.

Yeah, I worried about that too, and the first time I unscrewed the cap, that's what happened. I killed some cap threads so that the barrel threads don't bottom out and that seemed to take care of it.

I don't care for the look of a postable pen, although I don't mind the added functionality. I think people think they'll lose the cap if it isn't postable, but when you think about it, how are you going to put the pen in a pocket without a cap? When you finish with the pen, there you are with it in your hand and you're going to go looking for that cap so you can put the pen away.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Yeah, I worried about that too, and the first time I unscrewed the cap, that's what happened. I killed some cap threads so that the barrel threads don't bottom out and that seemed to take care of it.

I don't care for the look of a postable pen, although I don't mind the added functionality. I think people think they'll lose the cap if it isn't postable, but when you think about it, how are you going to put the pen in a pocket without a cap? When you finish with the pen, there you are with it in your hand and you're going to go looking for that cap so you can put the pen away.

Another "selling point" I have used, Robert: If your friend asks to borrow your pen, open it and let him use it. YOU still have the cap, so neither one of you can "inadvertently" walk off with the pen.

mrburls

Great looking pen Robert. That material is nice to work with and it especially looks good on your pen. Your threads look to have come out very nicely also.

Keith "mrburls"

Robert111

I like the pen but I would think the serction would be too weak to stand up to the repeated use of screwing the cap on and off

Joe, I posted this in another thread and I think it applies to your point:

On the subject of the possible risk a section breaking because of having cap threads on it, I may regret this but I doubt it's going to happen. I think I have more meat under the section-cap threads than I would have on a barrel when there are cap-barrel threads right over section-barrel threads.

Of course, you can move the the cap threads back on the barrel to avoid that, and then the issue becomes one of aesthetics: Where do you want to see the threads--forward near the nib or backward on the barrel?

Another aesthetic issue is the ratio of cap length to barrel length. I like a shorter cap, and putting threads on the section allows that.

Again, this is a novice speaking. I'd appreciate the opinions of the guys (I don't think there are any women in this category) with the experience.

Dustygoose

The way you put the threads for the cap is nice. There is a lot more meat there that way than on the body and allows the cap to be shorter.

Pics helps me understand lol.

Beautiful Pen

Top Bottom