Custom Kit Pinecone Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rolandranch

Rolandranch

This is the first modified kit pen I have ever completed (besides customizing finials) and it was a LOT of fun! I used a Raw brass kit to make this pen and I used a blue pinecone blank from Donald Fontaine (OldFox).

The solid brass cap from the kit is too heavy in my opinion so I made it out of pinecone instead. I think next time I do this I will make both ends closed to make it look better even if it prevents the cap from posting.

Sorry for the low-quality photos. I just snapped them quickly with my phone.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rachgard

This looks great! I don't mind the brass end, I like the look of it, and I'm a big fan of postable pens. I hate sitting down to write something and the cap won't post and after I'm done the cap is just...gone. Like really gone.
I do see what you mean by having both ends closed though. That would be really pretty. Hate those non-postables in use, although they do look nicer. Guess it's like life in that it comes down to looks or function.
Does anyone know what's better?

Last edited:

magpens

This looks great! I don't mind the brass end, I like the look of it, and I'm a big fan of postable pens. I hate sitting down to write something and the cap won't post and after I'm done the cap is just...gone. Like really gone.
I do see what you mean by having both ends closed though. That would be really pretty. Hate those non-postables in use, although they do look nicer. Guess it's like life in that it comes down to looks or function.

Definitely FUNCTION is better than LOOKS ..... LOL !!!!!

Rachgard

Definitely FUNCTION is better than LOOKS ..... LOL !!!!!

God, I hope so.

Rolandranch

Thank you all for your comments!
I normally don't post the caps on my pens because with kit pens they are almost always too long or heavy and unbalanced in my opinion. However, this pen is comfortable to write with even when the cap is posted because it is lightweight. I still am not 100% happy with the look. Either I'll try something else with the next one or it'll grow on me. :)

To make the cap, I turned down the original brass cap and then cut off the threaded section and press fit the threaded section into my pinecone cap. I got this idea from another member here who did something similar (I can't think of his name at the moment). I will eventually get a metal lathe so I can make the threaded sections myself.

That looks great! FWIW, I don't care to post the cap either BUT I'm a little dude with hands to match. The cap being posted throws the balance way off for me, and I think it would look great with a matching end instead of the threads anyhow. What about a little matching piece that's tapped to thread over it? That would at least give a customer the option of posting the cap if he/she wanted to or leaving it closed.

Rolandranch

That looks great! FWIW, I don't care to post the cap either BUT I'm a little dude with hands to match. The cap being posted throws the balance way off for me, and I think it would look great with a matching end instead of the threads anyhow. What about a little matching piece that's tapped to thread over it? That would at least give a customer the option of posting the cap if he/she wanted to or leaving it closed.
Thanks! That's an interesting idea I hadn't thought of.

Last edited:

PenPal

It needs leaving well alone,it stands up for itself,has a life of oits own. Treated as a one off or pattern I understand that was your plan. Yes I have glued in threaded sections for joiners etc from really beaut cheap as chips completed kits from China. It can be a quick and most effective solution.There are many on the forum would give their eye teeth to have your so called rough pics of their pens.

I love it all round.

Kind regards Peter.

Top Bottom