Custom FP and RB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Here are a couple commissioned pens I just finished up. Couple are firsts for me. Each had their own set of challenges, but I had a lot of fun working through them.

Up first is a Custom RB I started during my kitless demo at the last Atlanta meeting. The blank is one of my own. The nib section looks black, but it's the same purple that's in the blank. This was the first custom RB I've ever made. It definitely won't be the last!

DSC03903 (514x700).jpg DSC03906 (562x700).jpg DSC03907 (700x422).jpg DSC03910 (538x700).jpg

Second is my first wooden FP. I went with Lignum Vitae since it's a dense wood. The section and cap/body threads are ebonite. The rest of the threads are in the wood itself. The customer wanted it as natural as possible. With that in mind there is no finish on the wood either. Only sanded up to 1000grit. I'm sad to see this one go, but I'm drawing up designs on one that's going to be all mine :biggrin:

DSC03899 (521x700).jpg DSC03900 (531x700).jpg DSC03902 (700x330).jpg

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

propencity

Very nice Jonathan. I'm sure the customer will like them. I especially like the FP; well proportioned between cap and body and the clean line design goes well with the overall natural look. Been looking at doing the wooden custom, but I'm still working out the kinks on the acrylic customs. Did you also tap the wood where the cap/body thread joins into the wood or is it epoxied?

MarkD

Nice work Jonathon, I can't decide which I like best. The wood FP is awesome and very clean looking. I also like the custom RB, since I get very few requests for FP's I may have to try making a few of the custom RB's. Thanks for the inspiration!

southernclay

That RB finished up nicely! Both are great, well done. You changed out the nib from the demo I think? Never would've guess either of those were firsts. Thanks again for spending so much time on the demos I was amazed
Warren

Brooks803

One thing I forgot to mention is that the wood pen will be changing colors over the next few days. As it oxidizes it'll turn a really nice shade of green. If I still have it I'll be sure to take some new pics to show the difference.

Good looking Buddy! I am always jealous of your work!

I need a week long course...... Do you offer one? LOL!

I sure do! My door is always open for you Fred. Heck, it's open for anyone who wants to come down for a visit.

Very nice Jonathan. I'm sure the customer will like them. I especially like the FP; well proportioned between cap and body and the clean line design goes well with the overall natural look. Been looking at doing the wooden custom, but I'm still working out the kinks on the acrylic customs. Did you also tap the wood where the cap/body thread joins into the wood or is it epoxied?

Thanks! I did thread the wood as well. In the end I decided to make a 12mm threaded rod that goes down into the body leaving that little bit exposed. It is epoxied in place. In the cap there are only wooden threads.

That RB finished up nicely! Both are great, well done. You changed out the nib from the demo I think? Never would've guess either of those were firsts. Thanks again for spending so much time on the demos I was amazed
Warren

I did change it out. When I got home I cast a small purple blank to go with the pen better. It looks black in the pics, but it's more purple in person. It was great meeting you Warren. Happy I was able to show you some stuff.

jimjam66

Awesome work! I LOVE the idea of the wooden pen with no finish - I had a punter ask me about that once, her reasoning being that with all the sweat and oils being absorbed by the wood the pen would eventually be a part of her in a very real sense.

jyreene

Sweet. Keep learning new things to teach me when I get back!

First one is really money. You know me though rollerballs are where it's at.

I like the second one. Can you do it in a rollerball?

BSea

That rollerball is crazy (in a good way):eek:. But I have to say, I like the Lignum Vitae pen the most. There is something about a really sleek wooden pen that just says "Class". Well done! :good:

Brooks803

Both look awesome, the wooden FP looks great with no finish.

Harry (i need a lesson too) M

Thanks Harry! Anytime you want to stop by feel free!

Awesome work Brooks! Someday I'd like to see some of these in person!!!

Thanks! The door is always open!

Sweet. Keep learning new things to teach me when I get back!

First one is really money. You know me though rollerballs are where it's at.

I like the second one. Can you do it in a rollerball?

Thanks Ty! Oh yeah, I'm planning a wooden RB like that already. I'm thinking cocobolo burl or Malaysian blackwood burl :biggrin:

That rollerball is crazy (in a good way):eek:. But I have to say, I like the Lignum Vitae pen the most. There is something about a really sleek wooden pen that just says "Class". Well done! :good:

Thanks Bob! I agree with you. I really didn't want to get rid of it after I finished it.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

fastgast

Wow, Jonathan, those are beautiful to say the least. Having moved to Nv. from SC I really would like to visit. Thanks for the help this year and have a Happy and prosperous New Year- Rick

Brooks803

Wow, Jonathan, those are beautiful to say the least. Having moved to Nv. from SC I really would like to visit. Thanks for the help this year and have a Happy and prosperous New Year- Rick

Thanks Rick. Anytime you're in the area feel free to come by. It's kinda funny. You and I have lived close to each other in both states. I lived in Vegas for around 7yrs. Hope you have a wonderful 2014 as well!

OZturner

Wow and Wow Jonathon,
Your Blue and Purple Roller Ball, is terrific, Great Lines.
The Lignum Vitae has knocked me out of the Park.
Again Great Lines, and Superb Finish.
Did you leave the threads in the Lignum Vitae Cap as cut or did you give them a dose of CA for good measure and insurance?
Congratulations.
Brian.

Brooks803

One word: WOW!

two words: Thank You! :biggrin:

Wow and Wow Jonathon,
Your Blue and Purple Roller Ball, is terrific, Great Lines.
The Lignum Vitae has knocked me out of the Park.
Again Great Lines, and Superb Finish.
Did you leave the threads in the Lignum Vitae Cap as cut or did you give them a dose of CA for good measure and insurance?
Congratulations.
Brian.

Thanks Brian! I think everyone has fallen head over heels for this Lignum pen...myself included!

I didn't to anything to the threads in the cap after cutting them. Instead before I cut the threads I burnished the wood with some brown paper bag on a dowel. That really helped make the threads smooth.

Twissy

Loving the FP Jonathan. Really nice clean lines. You're right about the beauty of the wood when it takes on that green hue.
Got an order for one of these recently and will probably start it in a couple of weeks, but haven't got the balls to thread the wood!!! Ebonite inserts. Have you ever tried drilling the wood and pouring in black Alumilite? Something I want to try but the stuff is really expensive over here.

Brooks803

Loving the FP Jonathan. Really nice clean lines. You're right about the beauty of the wood when it takes on that green hue.
Got an order for one of these recently and will probably start it in a couple of weeks, but haven't got the balls to thread the wood!!! Ebonite inserts. Have you ever tried drilling the wood and pouring in black Alumilite? Something I want to try but the stuff is really expensive over here.

Thanks! I normally would have done the inserts, but the customer wanted it this way. I gave him all the warnings I could about the threads wearing out and so on, but he still wanted it as natural as possible.

I did try pouring in alumilite. It got VERY messy! I only tried it the one time, but I learned how NOT to do it at least. I might have to give it another go. The hardest part would be to keep everything centered through the pouring process so your threads won't become crooked.

Top Bottom