Custom FP from my demo in Atl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Here is the FP I made in my demo for the Atl pen turners group. I didn't quite get it finished before time ran out. All that was left was to do the front section. The blank is one of my own cast from a 9" rod of alumilite. That way I can keep everything lined up. My wife has already claimed it for herself and wanted a black ebonite section (who am I to argue with the boss!). I'll eventually replace the gold clip/nib with rhodium/polished steel. I didn't realize that I didn't have any polished #6 nibs already :redface:

I hope those from the demo were able to take home some of the skills/techniques used to make a pen from scratch. Thanks Robert for the extra set of hands! Also here are the measurements again on the taps/dies used:

Cap to body: 12x.8mm triple start
Cap Finial: 9x.75mm
Front section to body: 10x.75mm
Front section internal for nib housing: 7.9x.6mm

DSC02083569x700.jpg
DSC02084569x700.jpg
DSC02086572x700.jpg
DSC02088572x700.jpg
DSC02093700x229.jpg

A couple closeups:

DSC02091557x700.jpg
DSC02092539x700.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always all comments/critiques/questions are welcomed and appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

I just love the color combos you keep coming up with. And the design of the pen is very attractive as well. Very nice!

firewhatfire

Man I sure hate to miss a demo, especially one i need. I know a few folks that would like that blank. Do I have to use a pressure pot with Alumalite? ONly playing with my Silmar right now.

Looking good

sumterdad

very nice, Maybe we need to talk to the demo cordinator for our club to get one of these demos:biggrin::biggrin:

wiset1

That's what I'm talking about! There's nothing like the energy in one of your castings Jonathon, and this one is full of action. Love the shape and look of the pen.

Brooks803

Your wife like purple? :rolleyes: Another beauty Jonathon.

Yeah I don't see why I keep making things with purple...they never leave the house unless it's in her pocket!

very nice, Maybe we need to talk to the demo cordinator for our club to get one of these demos:biggrin::biggrin:

ummm....I think my demo fee just went up :tongue: Nah, just get in touch with me ahead of time so I can check the work schedule.

Beautiful!
What bits did you use to make the holes for the taps?

12mm = 27/64
10mm = 3/8
9mm = 21/64
#6 nib = 17/64 or 9/32 (I can't remember what my notes say down in the shop)

That's what I'm talking about! There's nothing like the energy in one of your castings Jonathon, and this one is full of action. Love the shape and look of the pen.

Thanks Tim! I'm really happy with the shape myself. Wasn't really trying for it, it just kinda came out that way. The blank did come out well huh?

That is sharp Jonathan. I'd like to see a picture when you switch over the hardware.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I'll post a couple when I get the nibs in.

vanngo5d

Wow that's a great looking pen and blank, you made this in your demo?:eek:
If your ever in the Houston area i sure could use a demo i'm getting tired of the almost there pens. :frown:

great job -- guess your back is much better.

Don Vann

Brooks803

Wow that's a great looking pen and blank, you made this in your demo?:eek:
If your ever in the Houston area i sure could use a demo i'm getting tired of the almost there pens. :frown:

great job -- guess your back is much better.

Don Vann

Thanks Don! Yeah it was just a demo pen. To save alot of time I didn't do any real finishing to it until I got home.

Funny you should mention that. I'll be in Mt. Enterprise, TX from the 28th till Jan. 2nd visiting my in-laws....although I doubt I'll be able to sneak away for a day :redface:

jttheclockman

I usually do not comment about a kitless pen because I know not what I speak. But in this case I would like to talk about the blank.

As always Jonathon your blanks are so vivid in color. That is what makes them stand out. I am sure you do not want to reveal your source of coloring but if you do I would love to hear it:biggrin:

Now this being a kitless, there is no tube and such so the color is what the color is right???? You always said that with your blanks if you paint the inside of the blank it will highlight one or more of the colors in the blank. Do you do anything to do this with a kitless pen???? Very well shaped as well. Thanks for showing and glad to see your back seems to be doing better.

Last edited:

Brooks803

I usually do not comment about a kitless pen because I know not what I speak. But in this case I would like to talk about the blank.

As always Jonathon your blanks are so vivid in color. That is what makes them stand out. I am sure you do not want to reveal your source of coloring but if you do I would love to hear it:biggrin:

Now this being a kitless, there is no tube and such so the color is what the color is right???? You always said that with your blanks if you paint the inside of the blank it will highlight one or more of the colors in the blank. Do you do anything to do this with a kitless pen???? Very well shaped as well. Thanks for showing and glad to see your back seems to be doing better.

Thanks John. I have come to find out that trying to get that depth and translucency in Alumilite is not easy to accomplish. I'll be doing more experiments to try and achieve it but for now I just poured to try and get the same look without needing to paint. I wouldn't want to try to reverse paint something like this!

Looks great on the front page :biggrin:

Yes it does!!! Thank you Jeff!

OMG, I'm in love! Or lust!!! Or both!!

Thanks Angela! I used to live in N. Las Vegas too. Right off Ann & the 95.

angboy

Thanks John. I have come to find out that trying to get that depth and translucency in Alumilite is not easy to accomplish. I'll be doing more experiments to try and achieve it but for now I just poured to try and get the same look without needing to paint. I wouldn't want to try to reverse paint something like this!

Looks great on the front page :biggrin:

Yes it does!!! Thank you Jeff!

OMG, I'm in love! Or lust!!! Or both!!

Thanks Angela! I used to live in N. Las Vegas too. Right off Ann & the 95.

That's very close to me, I'm near Grand Teton and Decatur. bouht my new car at Team Ford right at 95 and Ann.

Top Bottom