Custom FP - Inlay Finials

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from propencity

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Was wondering if you thread the ink pump to the section on yours? Looks pretty tight...

Think you have a 'hit' on your hands with the yellow/black combo!! Well done!!!!

Scott (like a sexy bumble bee) B

propencity

Thanks everyone. Sure had fun making this. I'm getting back into the custom pen stuff and it really does add another dimension to this hobby. Head scratching and mistakes always leads you to learning new ways of doing things and improving your turning skills. For this pen and previous one, turning between center as much as possible is the way to go. Previously, I relied heavily on the collet chuck and threaded holders on the collet chuck. Now I try to turn the components TBC as much as possible, minimizing Out of Round. Also, holding off on the shaping as long as possible until after all the drilling and threading helps.

Lastly a sharp, sharp, and even sharper skew. Most of my pen turning is done using a skew. Kinda like playing golf with a steel shaft instead of graphite; it gives better feedback from the turning. You will know when you are hitting/cutting on the sweet spot. You will know when you are not :smile-big:

Merry Xmas everyone and all the best for the coming new year.

Mark

Was wondering if you thread the ink pump to the section on yours? Looks pretty tight...

Think you have a 'hit' on your hands with the yellow/black combo!! Well done!!!!

The converter is not threaded; just pushes into the nipple of the feeder.

Scott (like a sexy bumble bee) B

Mark Wow!!!! Beautiful

.... what is the thread pitch you used on the Cap?

Tap/Die for Cap: m14 x .8 Triple Start

Now that's the kind of stuff I want to learn.....awesome!

Si90

Love the colours and shape. I like the fact that you haven't put a clip on, keeps the lines nice and clean.

LeeR

The black is really nice with such an "intense" acrylic. A pen done entirely with the yellow would have been too much, I think. I've done a couple spalted pecan pens and used black acrylic for half the pen. And your pen gives me soem inspiration. I think I've got a few acrylic shorts that would look great paired with black. (Regular pens for me, though -- I'm not quite there yet, skill-wise, to attempt any custom fountain pens.)

Top Bottom