Custom finial on an El Grande

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Penultimate

Penultimate

Here is an El Grande from Rockler with a custom finial. The black plastic cap broke so I decided to make a custom one. The ben body and cap are black walnut from a tree felled at the Morton Arboretum in Lisle IL about 15 years ago. The finial is ebony with a cherry insert. The clip is hidden as well. The finish is umpteen coats of CA, MM'd, rubbing compound, polishing compound and auto wax. It took me three tries to finish the cap casue I kept sanding thru the finish.

it was quite a project my first pen turned between centers without bushings. Also, I had to make an expanding mandrel to hold the ebony cap.

I think the El Grande is a good candidate for more mods. There is a lot of plastic that can be replaced with wood.

As always comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0061a.jpg
    IMG_0061a.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 666
  • IMG_0066a.jpg
    IMG_0066a.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_0067_2a.jpg
    IMG_0067_2a.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 387
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penultimate

Expanding mandrel

Hi
Thanks for the compliment.
I have some round pieces of Delrin. I turned down a portion of it to slightly less than the inside diameter of the ebony blank. Drilled a hole thru it and cut a 60 degree chamfer in the hole. I cut to slots across the diameter 90 degrees apart. I turned a hex head cap screw into a cone shape with the cone pointing toward the screw shaft. This will expand the mandrel when the nut is tightens against the mandrel. I'll post pics tomorrow. I have a mini-metal lathe so turning the screw head into a cone was easy.

studioso

Thank you for the explanation and photos.
I don't have a metal lathe, but I can chuck the bolt in the drill press and make the taper with a file.
But frOm your description is sounds like you put the very front portion of the Derlin through your cap? The part that is turned down and slotted?
Thats only like .75". Is that enough to support the whole cap?

shadrach1944

Great Looking Pen

I am very partial to the EL Grande, Olympian, Titan and the Churchill style and especially to the Round top you created. I have ordered the Streamline EL Grande kits for experimenting and was a little weary with the 2 different size tubes for the Cap barrel but love the way they came out. You have done an Outstanding job on the pen! Thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• ThinWin Wood 815.jpg
    ThinWin Wood 815.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Chrd.WhiteOak HH0854.jpg
    Chrd.WhiteOak HH0854.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 142
  • #363 Kauri867 (2).jpg
    #363 Kauri867 (2).jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 118
Top Bottom