Custom Final Splated Maple & Wenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

I have taken a break on pens lately to concentrate on improveing some of my other turning, but I am going to see an old friend that I have not seen for 11 years next week and he asked me to make him a pen. The kit is a baron and the pen is made out of spalted maple and wenge with jatoba accents. I have to say this is the best fit I have gotten so far on a custom final.

20067271118_SMapleWengeOpen.jpg

Comments and critiques are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Kevin - I know lots of turners hate Wenge but I think it works very nice as accents for zebra and splated maple. I actually think it turns okay I dislike the open pores but can live with it.

Ray - I have been working mostly on turning bowls, hollow forms, birdhouse christmas ornaments and pepper mills. Alot of my shop time has been making hollowing tool and such. I also am working alot of finishing my turned pieces and am making a big (for my mini) segmented bowl. The bowls are finally starting to turn out okay but still need a little work. The birdhouses need some work and my first peppermill was a dismall failure.

Jerryconn

Super looking pen!! Is the finial turned so that it is a press fit in the tube just like the standard finial that comes with the kit?

vick

Originally posted by Jerryconn
<br />Super looking pen!! Is the finial turned so that it is a press fit in the tube just like the standard finial that comes with the kit?
Yes it basically is turned to look just like the kit final. I do use epoxy and glue it is place to make sure it stays put. I actually turn the tendon to fit in the tube then hold the cap section on a pin chuck with the final piece inserted in the end and turn in as one piece to insure everything matches up good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom