Custom Desk Pen. Sunglasses needed!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Twissy

Twissy

A commission just completed. Very long and a tad under 16mm wide. All to the customers spec, I just chose the ebonite for the section. I think using yellow for the section would have been too much, and the feed housing would show through.
These pens seem to be my most popular at the moment custom wise. Just completed another with 18k nib but waiting for some silver to make a roll stopper....watch this space.
C&C's welcome.

IMG_0560.JPG IMG_0559.JPG IMG_0561.JPG IMG_0562.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Freethinker

LOL.

I cannot believe that THIS pen is being called ugly.....sure, it's kinda bright, but the shape and closed end configuration are --to me-- extremely well done and pleasing.

I have seen countless pens here (many of them on a Patriot/Atlas/EB frame) whose shape (pregnant) and or color of blank (a casting of mottled browns-greens-reds) render them absolutely butt ugly.......and they are almost always met with compliments and "Nice pen".

Twissy

Thank you folks!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For my personal taste I would have to say that there is too much yellow for a pen this size. I had planned to use this material for a Duofold style pen.....but the customer is always right!:)

betwisted

thread's a couple days old, but I'm just seein it, and I like the intense-ness of that pen...it's like a yellow wake-you-up slap in the face. Also...I don't believe the customer is always right, I tried talking a friend out of a pen he thought he wanted but he didn't budge. So I made his pen for him, and about a month later I asked about it and he said, "I should have listened to you." I'll try and sell him another pen to fill in that gap in his life :)

eranox

You know, I quite like it. Only I'm afraid I'd mistake it for a highlighter and ruin an important document.

If memory serves, Ebonite is the bowling ball stuff. Am I remembering that correctly? If so, I likely have a few future pen blanks sitting in my closet that will probably still smell of stale beer and cigarette smoke. Bowling alleys are magical places, aren't they?

I'm fairly new to turning, but it looks like you've made this pen entirely free form, except for the nib part. Am I looking at that right? Did you start with a solid piece of Ebonite and turn down tenons and thread them to be compatible with the nib (and with each other)? Assuming I'm not crazy--a longshot--how in the world did you manage to do that?

Twissy

Thank you guys for all the comments. It would seem the bright colour is a dividing factor :)

You know, I quite like it. Only I'm afraid I'd mistake it for a highlighter and ruin an important document.

If memory serves, Ebonite is the bowling ball stuff. Am I remembering that correctly? If so, I likely have a few future pen blanks sitting in my closet that will probably still smell of stale beer and cigarette smoke. Bowling alleys are magical places, aren't they?

I'm fairly new to turning, but it looks like you've made this pen entirely free form, except for the nib part. Am I looking at that right? Did you start with a solid piece of Ebonite and turn down tenons and thread them to be compatible with the nib (and with each other)? Assuming I'm not crazy--a longshot--how in the world did you manage to do that?

William, it is only the nib section that is made from ebonite, the rest of the pen is acrylic. I believe you are correct that a lot (maybe all) bowling balls are made from ebonite. How it compares to the ebonite produced for pen and pipe making I do not know, but I have read in places abut some using old bowling balls for pens. All I can say is good luck with the cutting!

Yes this pen is a total custom pen.
There is a lot of information in the library, but her is one of the tutorials bu "bigshed" that will give you an idea of the processes involved HERE
There was another one that focused on the making of the nib section, but I can't find it. I think it was written by "dalecamino" but don't hold me to that!

Hope this helps.

http://content.penturners.org/library/pens/kitless_pen.pdf

eranox

Yes this pen is a total custom pen.
There is a lot of information in the library, but her is one of the tutorials bu "bigshed" that will give you an idea of the processes involved HERE
There was another one that focused on the making of the nib section, but I can't find it. I think it was written by "dalecamino" but don't hold me to that!

Hope this helps.

:eek:

That is flippin' amazing. Very nice work!

-Dave

yaroslaw

Tutorial by Delacamino isn't in library, dunno why. But it is still in "Advanced pen making" forum in one of the top threads.

Twissy

Twissy, is that acrylic bought somewhere or did you cast it? It's nice and it seems like opaque colour.

It's an acrylic from Beartoothwoods. I think it is called Canary. Turns really well. The only thing I will say is that the colour is not totally constant...a few areas slightly less opaque than the rest of the material.
Regards
John

Top Bottom