Custom cross inlay: let's try again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from emackrell

Status
Not open for further replies.

emackrell

Ohhhhkay, let's try this again!

Yes the finial was loose. Yes the centerband was looser yet (in fact both came off in my hand tonight when I went to snug them up).

Here is how the pen looked once I finished assembling it:

2006113033126_IMG_1756.jpg

2006113033159_IMG_1749.jpg

The custom inlay came out very well, and in this blank it gives the effect of the cross riding on a stormy sea.

And perhaps next time I will actually look at the pen before I go posting photos of it.... [:I]

cheers Eileen [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Eileen, the turning and finish look good, but it looks like you didn't get the cap pieces pressed together fully. It also appears that the blank at the CB isn't sqaure.

mick

Eileen, all things considered it's still a very nice pen. I can't comment on the fit cause my monitor is so dark...( time for an upgrade, are you reading this Connie?)
I can say this. That's probably the nicest of all of Eagles cross blanks. I love the two tone cross and the way the colors are just different enough for contrast. Very stylish!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The fit and came out better in the second set of pictures Eileen.I had reservations when you asked me about making this one but your "artist eye" knew better.
The oval in the inlay is yelloew heart.The yellow stripes in the cross bars is Eagleyezed wood and the white stripes in the cross are ivory from piano keys.
The piano keys are dimensioned to .018 each and the yellow stripe is .014.
(My thumbnail is almost grown back)

TBone

Agree with the comments about center band. But the finish and the blank look great. I like the way the kit finish brings out the color in the wood. The inlay looks great Eagle.

Skye

Being that parts of the CB are a tight fit and some are not, my guess is the mill bounced around a little due to the burl. This may be a good time to have had one of those sanding mill dealies.

Regarless, great looking pen.

emackrell

Skye, what kind of a sanding mill thingy? Always interested in any new toys esp if they will assist with accuracy.

Of course it's all to the good if they also make noise, take up lots of space and go through batteries fast.... oh no, wait, those are the gifts for my brother's kids....[}:)]

cheers Eileen [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom