Custom Center Band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Big

Big

I have been turning "Creekline Slimline" kits since I started. Today, I got a variety package of Slimlines from PSI. It never occurred to me that the center band would be different in size. I decided to use the Purple Heart that I turned yesterday but realized that the center band with the PSI kit was greatly smaller. A good friend had mentioned to me to make a center band so I gave it a shot. I used a piece of Oak and made a center band. Okay, it is far from perfect but I am still a newbie and never attempted anything like this before. Heck, for that matter I am a newbie to working with wood, tools, and everything. Love it though.

Attachments

• Custom Center Band of Oak A.jpg
    Custom Center Band of Oak A.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 340
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

Far from "Perfect" maybe, but isn't it fun to try other ideas and have them turn out well. I love the colour contrast, and I just LOVE Purpleheart.
Great job with this and keep experimenting.
Thanks for showing.

Bob.

BSea

I just threw away a bag of centerbands. I see you'll soon have a bag of your own. That's a really cool pen. You also don't have to follow the bushing sizes when you make your own centerbands. Next, you can try your own finial. There are just endless ways to customize a slimline.

Good work! :good:

plantman

Mike; I knew you could do it !! Sometimes it just takes a little problem to move you on to the next step, than you never look back. Jim S

mjrbuzz

beautiful!! and i hope this isn't rude or considering hyjackin a thread, but do you laminate the wood for the center band to the top blank or just turn a seprate one?

Last edited:
Reactions: Big

plantman

beautiful!! and i hope this isn't rude or considering hyjackin a thread, but do you laminate the wood for the center band to the top blank or just turn a seprate one?

Laminate it to the top blank, that way you don't have to worry about the size being off. You can also turn the band larger than the rest of the blank to make it stand out or fit over the lower barrel. Jim S

OZturner

Excellent Pen, Michael.
Great Centre Band, and Purple Heart, Blank.
Excellent Profile, Fit and Finish.
It is probably time to compare your first pen to this pen, and observe just how far you have come, and the progress you have made.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Reactions: Big

Big

mjrbuzz,
I had to make this center band separately but you can do it prior to drilling and inserting the tubes. The guys on here can tell you much better than I can but in this case, I did glue the center band that I made to the lower barrel. Hope that helps.
Big

Big

The more I do of this, the more I love it and want to do more and more. I appreciate the comments, coaching, help, and above all the friendship from you folks. You are truly a great bunch of folks and I am happy to be allowed to be part of the community. THANK YOU ALL!

Top Bottom