Custom Bulb Filler Prototype

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

I've been tinkering with this idea for a while now. So I decided to go ahead and make a prototype for proof of concept. Although my dimensions are no where near what I'd optimally like I am very happy with this. My hope is to decrease the overall size by 30%.

On all the bulb fillers I've seen there's always a blind cap at the end of the pen body that unscrews to expose the ink sac for filling. I wanted to design something that would allow me to make a wooden bulb filler without having to worry about ink penetrating the wood or weakening the wood over time. Plus I really don't like putting sleeves in my wooden custom FPs. So I designed and made an ink chamber that's full length as well as a full length blind cap. That way I can use whatever material I want without concern.

Plus...for anyone who has tried to make a bulb filler with a #6 Jowo feed, you know just how hard that can be! For some reason the ink chamber ended up really dark. I made it with transparent dye but I guess I added a bit to much somehow :confused:

DSC05049 (800x363).jpgDSC05052 (800x426).jpgDSC05053 (625x800).jpgDSC05056 (800x772).jpg

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Is there a reason you just didn't make the ink chamber clear?

Or maybe I'm looking at it wrong. Is the ink chamber 1 piece that goes all the way to the section? If so I guess the part behind the cap threads was supposed to be an ink window, right? And if so, you didn't want it clear. The more I look at it, the more it makes sense that the black part of the pen is a single piece.

And where did you get that clip? I really like that one.

Brooks803

Or maybe I'm looking at it wrong. Is the ink chamber 1 piece that goes all the way to the section? If so I guess the part behind the cap threads was supposed to be an ink window, right? And if so, you didn't want it clear. The more I look at it, the more it makes sense that the black part of the pen is a single piece.

Mainly bc I didn't want it clear :rolleyes:. I wanted something that would compliment the blank more. When the light shines through the current one it's a really nice green. There's a green undertone to the main blank. It just doesn't show like it is.

You're correct. The ink chamber goes all the way to the section. And yes, the part behind the cap threads is an ink window. It's just not very see through with that particular blank.

The clip is from the cigar kit.

BSea

Mainly bc I didn't want it clear :rolleyes:. I wanted something that would compliment the blank more. When the light shines through the current one it's a really nice green. There's a green undertone to the main blank. It just doesn't show like it is.

You're correct. The ink chamber goes all the way to the section. And yes, the part behind the cap threads is an ink window. It's just not very see through with that particular blank.

The clip is from the cigar kit.
I should have gone back and taken the clear part out once I realized it was all one piece. I 1st thought that the ink chamber was below the ink window, and was a separate piece. So why worry about if it's transparent or not. And making it clear would at least have the benefit of seeing inside the ink chamber. But I get it now that I understand the ink window is part of it.

Does it show that I don't make cigar kits much? Or ink windows? :biggrin:

MarkD

I think it looks great! It's hard to tell the size from the pictures. What dimension do you plan to decrease? The diameter or the length?

Brooks803

Man that's a cool idea. Looking forward to the wood version! There should be some cool wood and window combos. Nice work!!

Thanks Warren! I've got a lignum vitae with an amber ink window in the works....for myself :biggrin:

I think it looks great! It's hard to tell the size from the pictures. What dimension do you plan to decrease? The diameter or the length?

Thanks Mark! Mostly the length will change. Its way to long as is. I'd like the body to be in the 5"-5 1/4" range and overall size around 5 1/2". The diameter will change but not much. It'll need to taper more so it will post deeper.

Top Bottom