Custom Black Ebonite with Silver Centerband

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Finished it this A.M. It's a Black Ebonite Fountain Pen with a Silver Centerband. I made the centerband out of a strip of silver that I bent, rounded with a mandrel, soldered and finished. LOL, I used to make jewelry about 10 years ago as a hobby...so my soldering skills were pretty rusty.:redface: The pen was a dust magnet trying to photograph.
Anyway, pen has a #6 Medium point Polished Bock Nib. Had fun making it. Comments welcomed. Thanks so much for looking. Regards, Doc:)

Attachments

• Custom Black Ebonite with Silver Center Band.jpg
    Custom Black Ebonite with Silver Center Band.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 332
  • Custom Black Ebonite with Silver Center Band_2.jpg
    Custom Black Ebonite with Silver Center Band_2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 281
  • Custom Black Ebonite with Silver Center Band_1.jpg
    Custom Black Ebonite with Silver Center Band_1.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Custom Black Ebonite with Silver Center Band_3.jpg
    Custom Black Ebonite with Silver Center Band_3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

LOL...Even though my soldering skills are pretty rusty....no seam/joint is notable in finished centerband.:)

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    45 KB · Views: 208
  • photo (8).jpg
    photo (8).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

vanngo5d

For rusty skills it still came out great. Love the pen that goes with it and the band really dresses it up.

Don Vann
vannink.com

Texatdurango

Yeah, more silver! Looks nice Doc, but a word of caution.

As you know I use a lot of silver on my pens but the reason you have never seen an ebonite pen with silver embellishments is that everyone warned me against using it because of the reaction the ebonite has to silver, something about the high sulfur content eating away at the silver.

Jjartwood

The appearance of that pen is not so far removed from a fine jewelry look.
Great work.
It is a great example of mixed skill sets.
I love the simple elegant look,class instead of flash.
Nice
Mark

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Beautiful job, Doc!!!

But I keep thinking, "AAHHHHHhhhhhh, the smell of ebonite to start my day!!":frown::frown::frown:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I REALLY like this one Doc. The silver band is really nice. At least it works for me. You're a darn good bender :biggrin: It may help the dust, if you wipe the pen down with a used fabric softener sheet. Thank you for posting this pen.

robutacion

Finished it this A.M. It's a Black Ebonite Fountain Pen with a Silver Centerband. I made the centerband out of a strip of silver that I bent, rounded with a mandrel, soldered and finished. LOL, I used to make jewelry about 10 years ago as a hobby...so my soldering skills were pretty rusty.:redface: The pen was a dust magnet trying to photograph.
Anyway, pen has a #6 Medium point Polished Bock Nib. Had fun making it. Comments welcomed. Thanks so much for looking. Regards, Doc:)

G'Day Doc,

Your A.M. pens are always top stuff, this doesn't meant that the P.M's are not, if you know what I mean...!:wink::biggrin:

However, I made a note on one of my threads about one of the sample (the black sample) blanks (tests) I made and shown here that I would like to see it on a type of pen as the one you just make so, if I offer to sent you one of these blanks free of charge, would you make one of these type pens and let us see it, please...???

I may even buy it from you...!:wink::biggrin:

If the answer is yes, please send me a PM with your postal details...!

Cheers
George

wizard

Thank you!

Thank you all for the kind comments and encouragement!!

Yeah, more silver! Looks nice Doc, but a word of caution.

As you know I use a lot of silver on my pens but the reason you have never seen an ebonite pen with silver embellishments is that everyone warned me against using it because of the reaction the ebonite has to silver, something about the high sulfur content eating away at the silver.

George, Thank you! I think you are right and it makes perfect sense. :redface: Will not make that mistake again! Regards, Doc

You should dust off a few more of those jewelry skills. The CB looks great!! Would love to see you make a few clips.

Bruce, Thank you! I'm dusting off my wax carving tools, wax lathe, casting equipment and other tools....Will see what happens :wink:. Regards, Doc

Top Bottom