Custom band...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

Redwood burl, purpleheart band.

Didnt have much luck with the finish on the top half. I need to get some BLO asap. Also overturned both top and bottom. A little thin for my taste.

winns.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Nice job Skye. I like the shape. I'm not a real fan of purpleheart, but it looks very nice as a CB with the redwood burl. Keep 'em coming.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Skye

No, I've got two PH blanks, one is really purple, the other not as purple. Just the way it came.

BLO is boiled linseed oil. It's a nice combo to use with CA. There's a tutorial video in the library.

Hi Skye,

I think the pen is well turned and finished nicely.

I often find that bands like this look like they were attached to the top as simple glue joint when I see them, not too much detail and dependent on the contrast or match to make it work. I like to see these as an oppertunity to add some detail, perhaps a V groove between the pen body and the band, or some type of turned detail in the band to make it's design and purpose look like it was intentional.

In the last pen class I taught at LV in June I challenged the 7 students to some up with creative centre bands that defined a detail or added something to the look and feel of the pen. These turners all came back with designs that developed the band. Some were okay and some wee really great. I know the pens all looked better than a plain wood contasting band. Your band looks fine to me, but I see it also as a place to play/have fun and create something special in a unique pen like yours here.

Just my rambling thoughts,[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom