Custom Aluminum Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Finished it this morning after working with it on and off for a few weeks.
It's for my son David (OldReg) who wants a LOL...."indestructible" rollerball.
I want to thank Mike Roux (bluwolf) for help with cutting tapers. Comments and questions welcomed. Most of all thanks for just looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Custom Aluminum Rollerball .jpg
    Custom Aluminum Rollerball .jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 327
  • Custom Aluminum Rollerball _1.jpg
    Custom Aluminum Rollerball _1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 337
  • Custom Aluminum Rollerball _3.jpg
    Custom Aluminum Rollerball _3.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 347
  • Custom Aluminum Rollerball _2.jpg
    Custom Aluminum Rollerball _2.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 293
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Right on Doc! Did you use the Etch-A-Sketch method to taper the pen? It looks very nice, and your son will be happy with this one.

wizard

Doc, i love it. beautiful to look at

Brad, Thank you!

Right on Doc! Did you use the Etch-A-Sketch method to taper the pen? It looks very nice, and your son will be happy with this one.

Chuck, Thank you. LOL..Yes.... the Etch A Sketch method...never heard it put that way..but it sure felt like what I was doing.

Good looking pen.
What alloy did you use and is it anodized?

Pete, Thanks. I don't really know much about the different alloys :redface: so I just went to shop and got one end of the rod. The sticker on the rod says Aluminum 6061 T6511 Bare Round Extruded 0.625". It's not anodized..used Paasche Air Eraser at 60 psi with Aluminum Oxide for finish.

Very nice! Did you do that on a wood or metal lathe?

John, Thank you. I used my Micromark metal lathe for all of it except for sanding and merging taper steps/lines on section. I primarily use the wood lathe at that point because I don't have a dust collection system on my metal lathe and I can more comfortably use higher speeds to sand than on my metal lathe. Also..I used taps and dies and did not cut any threads using the metal lathe.

Great! I really like that pen, Doc! You did that on a metal lathe, right? I think it can be done on a wood lathe too, right? Man, that pen really appeals to me.

Robert, Thanks so much! Did it on metal lathe...except the steps I mentioned to John above. It can be done on a wood lathe.

Great job Doc. Looks really nice.

Bruce, Thank You!

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Doc, another masterpiece, using the Schmidt cartridge roller ball eliminates the spring and step drilling and gives the opportunity for color refills , great idea.

wizard

I really like that. I think the gold clip is the perfect touch.

Bob, Thank you! LOL..The gold clip was a last minute touch... because with the silver version of the clip...pen looked a little boring :rolleyes:

Doc, another masterpiece, using the Schmidt cartridge roller ball eliminates the spring and step drilling and gives the opportunity for color refills , great idea.

Roy, Thank you ! I really like the cartridge rollerball system...seems to bridge a gap in custom pen making.... for people who prefer rollerballs to fountain pens.

wizard

I really like it. Clean lines. Your work is absolutely awesome!

Mike, Thank you!!

Simple yet sexy. The gold clip is a nice touch.

Mark, Thanks so much!!

Elegance with an industrial material, it's got you written all over it. Well done!

Mike

Mike, My friend, thanks so much for everything!! The guidance and the encouragement!! The tailstock DRO worked great..very precise!! :) Regards, Doc

BradG

Doc, stick with the 6061 T6 aluminium, its a great all rounder for workability, and doesnt smut up as much as some of the others when dipping in caustic for anodising, or when etching. Its the only one i use.

6061-T651 (solutionized, stress-relieved stretched and artificially aged)

T6 denotes its tensile strength, which is 42,000PSI

T4 would be 30,000PSI
0, is annealed, with a tensile strength of no more than 18,000PSI

Top Bottom